Validated Win7 Pro (Build 7601) Not Genuine following reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Version: Windows 7 Pro OEM - Purchased late November on Amazon.com (Condition: New, Sold By: Amazon.com, LLC).  Installed on new machine in December (has been working flawlessly until now).

Last night, after some work, I put the computer to sleep.  This morning the machine was on, with an error message saying that it could not restore my session.  After several reboots (and using the automatic startup fix program), the computer finally booted into windows, with the message in the lower right corner that this copy of Windows is not genuine and a pop up saying that that I may be the victim of piracy with a link that required me install WindowsActivationUpdate.exe and then took me to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/?OSV=6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048.09.1033&LS=3&LegitCheckError=00000052&GenuineInfo=00000000&Channel=0&ErrCode=00000000.  I receive no results from this page (either in Firefox 4 or IE 8) after 20 minutes, at which point I closed it.  Under Windows Activation on the System screen, it says that Status and Product ID are not available, nor is there an option to enter a new product key. 

A search through other threads yielded one possible solution of using SFC /SCANNOW.  This action fixed some files, but was unable to fix others (presumably watux.exe).  A restart following the scan revealed that Windows still believes it is no longer genuine.  [On a possibly related note, I also appear to be unable to connect to my NAS, although other computers on the network can access it without problems.  My internet and email connections all appear to be functional.] 

MGADiag reports the following:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50

Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070005
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-D97CX-W8F9K-2DWH3
    Windows Product Key Hash: rywfm5YkltBxzzmOw9iM6vDmiq4=
    Windows Product ID: 00371-OEM-9044641-47390
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048
    ID: {BABC95DA-7627-4080-AD6C-3FC69D493EEB}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\Windows\system32\wat\watux.exe[hr = 0x80070714]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{BABC95DA-7627-4080-AD6C-3FC69D493EEB}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2DWH3</PKey><PID>00371-OEM-9044641-47390</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3854681345-1243250618-1820457611</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.</Manufacturer><Model>EP43T-USB3</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F3</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20100422000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>29213A07018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0x46' to display the error text.
    Error: 0x46

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0x00000000
    HealthStatus: PASS
    Event Time Stamp: 3:17:2011 18:42
    WAT Activex: Registered
    WAT Admin Service: Registered

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: LAAAAAIAAQABAAEAAAABAAAAAQABAAEAHKKQQqyg6pQavYYRovFkogjjTFg=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   GBT     GBTUACPI
      FACP   GBT     GBTUACPI
      HPET   GBT     GBTUACPI
      MCFG   GBT     GBTUACPI
      MATS   GBT     
      SSDT   PmRef  CpuPm

Many thanks!

Friday, April 22, 2011 6:45 PM

Answers

• "Borghm" wrote in message news:1a27123d-cb2b-43b6-bb61-5e6a7dd03e8f...

Version: Windows 7 Pro OEM - Purchased late November on Amazon.com (Condition: New, Sold By: Amazon.com, LLC).  Installed on new machine in December (has been working flawlessly until now).

Last night, after some work, I put the computer to sleep.  This morning the machine was on, with an error message saying that it could not restore my session.  After several reboots (and using the automatic startup fix program), the computer finally booted into windows, with the message in the lower right corner that this copy of Windows is not genuine and a pop up saying that that I may be the victim of piracy with a link that required me install WindowsActivationUpdate.exe and then took me to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/?OSV=6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048.09.1033&LS=3&LegitCheckError=00000052&GenuineInfo=00000000&Channel=0&ErrCode=00000000.  I receive no results from this page (either in Firefox 4 or IE 8) after 20 minutes, at which point I closed it.  Under Windows Activation on the System screen, it says that Status and Product ID are not available, nor is there an option to enter a new product key. 

A search through other threads yielded one possible solution of using SFC /SCANNOW.  This action fixed some files, but was unable to fix others (presumably watux.exe).  A restart following the scan revealed that Windows still believes it is no longer genuine.  [On a possibly related note, I also appear to be unable to connect to my NAS, although other computers on the network can access it without problems.  My internet and email connections all appear to be functional.] 

WGA Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Licensing Data-->
    On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0x46' to display the error text.

Your problem is at least partially caused by the mismatched file highlighted above.

To fix the issue we need to fix the problem file. To do this we will try Repairing the files, Reverting to a point in time when the file was not damaged and/or replace the file with a known-good copy.

a. System Scan. The scan will look for bad Windows files and will attempt to repair it, if possible.

1) Click the Start Button
    2) Type: cmd.exe
    3) Right-click the cmd.exe file and select 'Run as Administrator'
    4) In the CMD window, type: sfc /scannow
    5) Reboot and see if that resolves the issue.

b. Repairing Windows using System Restore:

1) Click the Start button
    2) In the Start Search field, type: System Restore and hit the Enter key
    3) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.
    4) Click the "Next" button.

c. Replace files with known-good copies:

For this you will need to find a PC running Windows 7 (ensure that it is in good working order). Find and copy the files (listed above) from that known-good Windows 7, transfer them to your PC and replace the bad files with these good copies.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, April 22, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Note option c. should only be tried by someone comfortable with mucking around in Windows Systems Files.

If none of these resolves the issue, then the next step would be to either contact Microsoft Assisted Support (at one of the below URLs) or to backup all your important files and reinstall Windows.

North America: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_genadv_master?ws=support&ws=support#tab4

Outside North America:
    http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

Darin MS
    Friday, April 22, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Hi Noel and Darin. 

Thank you for your prompt responses.  Here is a list of the steps I have taken so far:

slui.exe 0x2a 0x46
    "An error has occurred" Code: 0x00000046 Description: The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started. - This was not included in the list of things to try, but Noel did highlight it in his examination of my Diagnostic report, so I included the result here.

a. sfc /scannow
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Log will not open ("Access is denied."), even with full permissions to the folder.  [see Copy of File Itself, below]

b. System Restore
    Restore points as far back as 4/11/11 were unsuccessful (the program that would have been predominantly affected by System Restore was MS Silverlight).  I did not wish to go back further since that would have impacted installations of other major programs.  I know that the computer was system was fully validated and functional as of yesterday, so going further back seemed pointless.

c. Copy of File Itself
    My neighbor finally got home so that I could copy watux.exe from him (all of my other machines are perfectly happy to continue running WinXP).   Initially did not have permissions to rename old watux.exe.  Attempt to move it to a backup folder resulted in a message that "An unauthorized change was made to windows.  You must reinstall or restore Windows system files to activate."  Permissions for the folder could not be changed, so I rebooted in an attempt to change them.  When they still could not be changed I attempted to go into admin tools to look at security privileges, only to find that the Microsoft Managment Console was only working with certain plugins.  A web search on this yielded a link to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833, which included instructions on extracting the necessary entries in the cbs.log file [cf. sfc /scannow, above].

Summary:
    The short of it is that I will first attempt to use a repair disk, and, if that failes, will likely reinstall windows to see if this solves the issue.

A quick glance at the SFC log shows hash mismatches of multiple files (too many to fix by hand--or even script--as instructed by the KB article mentioned above).  This corruption was likely caused when the computer came out of sleep last night to install a critical update (System Restore lists the most recent restore point prior to today as being 4/21/11 at 6:59 pm).  It is highly likely that the "Not Genuine" message I am recieving is a result of whatever corruption appears to have occurred.  While, currently, my system appears to be stable (even coming in and out of sleep), the inaccessability of my local network, the unreliability of MMC (which I also need for SQL work), and other yet-unknown failures suggest that the problem is more widespread than revalidating Windows.

Thank you Noel and Darin for your help.  If the thread remains open, I will try to remember to post back with my results (although who knows how long that will be considering it took me a couple of weeks to get all of my programs up and running during my last install).  Best wishes.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:49 AM

All replies

• "Borghm" wrote in message news:1a27123d-cb2b-43b6-bb61-5e6a7dd03e8f...

Version: Windows 7 Pro OEM - Purchased late November on Amazon.com (Condition: New, Sold By: Amazon.com, LLC).  Installed on new machine in December (has been working flawlessly until now).

WGA Data-->

File Scan Data-->

Licensing Data-->

Your problem is at least partially caused by the mismatched file highlighted above.

To fix the issue we need to fix the problem file. To do this we will try Repairing the files, Reverting to a point in time when the file was not damaged and/or replace the file with a known-good copy.

a. System Scan. The scan will look for bad Windows files and will attempt to repair it, if possible.

1) Click the Start Button
    2) Type: cmd.exe
    3) Right-click the cmd.exe file and select 'Run as Administrator'
    4) In the CMD window, type: sfc /scannow

b. Repairing Windows using System Restore:

1) Click the Start button
    2) In the Start Search field, type: System Restore and hit the Enter key
    3) Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.
    4) Click the "Next" button.

c. Replace files with known-good copies:

For this you will need to find a PC running Windows 7 (ensure that it is in good working order). Find and copy the files (listed above) from that known-good Windows 7, transfer them to your PC and replace the bad files with these good copies.

--

Friday, April 22, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Note option c. should only be tried by someone comfortable with mucking around in Windows Systems Files.

If none of these resolves the issue, then the next step would be to either contact Microsoft Assisted Support (at one of the below URLs) or to backup all your important files and reinstall Windows.

North America: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_genadv_master?ws=support&ws=support#tab4

Outside North America:
    http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

Darin MS
    Friday, April 22, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Hi Noel and Darin. 

Thank you for your prompt responses.  Here is a list of the steps I have taken so far:

slui.exe 0x2a 0x46
    "An error has occurred" Code: 0x00000046 Description: The remote server has been paused or is in the process of being started. - This was not included in the list of things to try, but Noel did highlight it in his examination of my Diagnostic report, so I included the result here.

a. sfc /scannow
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Log will not open ("Access is denied."), even with full permissions to the folder.  [see Copy of File Itself, below]

b. System Restore
    Restore points as far back as 4/11/11 were unsuccessful (the program that would have been predominantly affected by System Restore was MS Silverlight).  I did not wish to go back further since that would have impacted installations of other major programs.  I know that the computer was system was fully validated and functional as of yesterday, so going further back seemed pointless.

c. Copy of File Itself
    My neighbor finally got home so that I could copy watux.exe from him (all of my other machines are perfectly happy to continue running WinXP).   Initially did not have permissions to rename old watux.exe.  Attempt to move it to a backup folder resulted in a message that "An unauthorized change was made to windows.  You must reinstall or restore Windows system files to activate."  Permissions for the folder could not be changed, so I rebooted in an attempt to change them.  When they still could not be changed I attempted to go into admin tools to look at security privileges, only to find that the Microsoft Managment Console was only working with certain plugins.  A web search on this yielded a link to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833, which included instructions on extracting the necessary entries in the cbs.log file [cf. sfc /scannow, above].

Summary:
    The short of it is that I will first attempt to use a repair disk, and, if that failes, will likely reinstall windows to see if this solves the issue.

A quick glance at the SFC log shows hash mismatches of multiple files (too many to fix by hand--or even script--as instructed by the KB article mentioned above).  This corruption was likely caused when the computer came out of sleep last night to install a critical update (System Restore lists the most recent restore point prior to today as being 4/21/11 at 6:59 pm).  It is highly likely that the "Not Genuine" message I am recieving is a result of whatever corruption appears to have occurred.  While, currently, my system appears to be stable (even coming in and out of sleep), the inaccessability of my local network, the unreliability of MMC (which I also need for SQL work), and other yet-unknown failures suggest that the problem is more widespread than revalidating Windows.

Thank you Noel and Darin for your help.  If the thread remains open, I will try to remember to post back with my results (although who knows how long that will be considering it took me a couple of weeks to get all of my programs up and running during my last install).  Best wishes.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:49 AM
  • "Borghm" wrote in message news:c7373a8d-43c1-4b23-85a1-ad7a30a17428...

<snip>

Good Luck!

--

Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:15 AM