NetworkError halts server recovery - Acer H340 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone can help here...

I manage to get my server into recovery mode (flashing red "i")...

I hit the Next button in the server recovery dialog once I'm sure network connectivity is up, and my H340 is found immediately, but when I progress to the next step, I get a "NetworkError" dialog, and it quits the recovery process.

The server is otherwise accessible (The network shares are available and I can access via RDP). I'm doing this recovery because I think I pooched the server trying to expand the Sys partition size, which resulted in broken WHS console connectivity ad well as other goofy problems.

I thought I was safe with the recovery disk in hand...but i'm getting nowhere here!!!

Help!
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:41 AM

Answers

• SO...bottom line, I've had to do the full recovery (data loss), which is odd -> this full recovery was over the Network as well. It uses the same recovery disk, and follows the same recovery procedure, deviating ONLY at the final point where you select "full recovery" or "sys recovery".

The key point is that ahead of all this, I expanded my Sys partition (using paragon server partition manager). Is it possible that the Sys recovery still expects the default partition SIZE to be in place (20GB)? The "Network Error" is likely a red herring error...

Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:03 PM

All replies

• Try connecting the server and client directly (no router in between). This may require a crossed pair UTP cable, particularly for older network cards. Next disable all firewalls and other security software on the client, then try again. If this also fails you probably need to contact your supplier or Acer support.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:47 AM
  • That's why I love these forums. :) Two great ideas I hadn't hought of (thanks!) ....I tried both, to no avail unfortunately :(  even the direct connection results in the same problem ("NetworkError").

:(

Sucks that this recovery disk is SO useless...If you want some serious entertainment though, I can post an exchange I had with Acer support. Wow...those guys at Acer are unbelievably bad (so far)...I asked for 2nd or 3rd level support on this, so I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt...

Any other ideas??
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:07 AM
  • I can understand your frustration. You should get decent support from Acer even though it's a new product for them too. I'm not familiar with the Acer restore procdure, so I can't help you any further. If you manage to fix things in one or another way please post your solution overhere.

There's one other thing I can think of, IE security settings or IE version. It may sound silly, however if you have a client with another (older) version of IE you could give that try.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Could it be, that the DHCP lease configured in the router has a very short lifetime? (This is discovered, if you type ipconfig /all in a cmd prompt and check for that line.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:48 AM
  • SO...bottom line, I've had to do the full recovery (data loss), which is odd -> this full recovery was over the Network as well. It uses the same recovery disk, and follows the same recovery procedure, deviating ONLY at the final point where you select "full recovery" or "sys recovery".

The key point is that ahead of all this, I expanded my Sys partition (using paragon server partition manager). Is it possible that the Sys recovery still expects the default partition SIZE to be in place (20GB)? The "Network Error" is likely a red herring error...

Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:03 PM

I would say it's possible.  Expanding the default OS partition is unsupported and can could very well cause issues later on.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:22 PM
  • I have the same problem, i. e. the server restoration aborts with "network error".
    But I can successfully do a server re-installation (which loses the database unfortunately).
    I tried various approaches to replace my system disk without losing the data on the data disks but no success.
    If the system disk is broken and needs to be replaced with a new disk there is no 20GB partition in place.
    Thus it would be a major bug if the server restoration expected any partitions on the new disk.

Friday, November 13, 2009 6:56 AM
  • If the system disk is broken and getting replaced, Windows Home Server setup (or the adoption made by the OEM) will take care of creating the system volume.

Besides that - the best way (anyway still unsupported) to increase the size of the system volume is after the initial setup start, during the second reboot. During that time still no data volume is created, so the side effects to WHS of such an action are most limited.
    Instead of using 3rd party tools, which might do more than you want and WHS accepts, I used to use a Vista DVD with its repair environment cmd prompt for it (or a second PC, to which the disk gets attached temporary), opened a cmd prompt and used diskpart with its extend parameter and a limited size entered to increase the WHS system volume.
    I.e.:
    diskpart
    list volume
    (to see, if you will select the proper volume, which should show 20 GByte)
    select volume x: (replace x: with the drive letter of the system volume, which should be C:, if you booted a Vista/Win7 DVD on the server directly)
    extend size=80000

would extend the system volume by 80 GB to a total of 100 GB.
    After that continue the setup process (if you booted from the Vista DVD in the non OEM server, you will have to reinsert the WHS Setup DVD).
    In my experience server reinstallations honor the current volume size and only reformat it.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:48 AM
  • It's probably too late for you but if anyone encounters this Network error on their H340 keep trying the recovery disk.  I had a few network glitches but I kept retrying it and eventually it worked the second time around.

It then had trouble applying updates ... I ran that part 5 times before I quit that applications and ran the connector cd again and it worked first time after that.

I've got a bunch of swtiches around the house....so I plugged them into the same switch.  I don't know if that makes a difference (probalby not but I guess it's the luck of the draw).

Also try not to create any network traffic on the boxes (ie use the internet) ...  the stars might have just been aligned just right for me to get my files back :)

Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:07 PM
  • hi guys, I ran into the same NetworkError but somehow got lucky and got through the setup. Basically as I kept trying to run the CD and getting the same NetworkError, my LAN was somehow overwhelmed, for whatever reason, so I had to shut off my switches and router. After restarting everything, I ran the CD again, and this time, no NetworkError. Eventually, WHS was up and running, with the old data shares intact. There was a small issue of my system drive being misnamed; WHS was calling my new WD system drive a Samsung, which was from my previous installation. Other than that the restoration process appeared to work.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:26 AM