none
Difference between 70-461 and 70-464 exam RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've got a question - what is the difference between above mentioned exams? In Skills measured for 461 it says Create and alter tables using T-SQL syntax (simple statements) and in 464 is Create and alter tables (complex statements). What is simple and complex statement? Does it mean that to pass 461 (partCreate and alter tables using T-SQL syntax (simple statements)) you just need to know how to create a table, alter a table (add a column, change a datatype), drop a table and column and say rename a table/column? I am really quite confused as I have never done any MS certificate before.

Any help (especially from those who had already passed 461 exam) is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Thomas

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:44 AM

Answers

• I think the skills measured sections make it quite clear:

Simple

May include but not limited to: create tables without using the built in tools; ALTER; DROP; ALTER COLUMN; CREATE

Complex

This objective may include but is not limited to: develop an optimal strategy for using temporary objects (table variables and temporary tables); how not to rely on triggers solely as a means to manage a table; data version control and management; create tables without using the built in tools; understand the difference between @Table and #table

i.e. for complex you need to know how to use table variables, temporary tables (@Table, #table), triggers, data version control and management.  Simple you don't need to know these.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:01 AM

All replies

• I think the skills measured sections make it quite clear:

Simple

May include but not limited to: create tables without using the built in tools; ALTER; DROP; ALTER COLUMN; CREATE

Complex

This objective may include but is not limited to: develop an optimal strategy for using temporary objects (table variables and temporary tables); how not to rely on triggers solely as a means to manage a table; data version control and management; create tables without using the built in tools; understand the difference between @Table and #table

i.e. for complex you need to know how to use table variables, temporary tables (@Table, #table), triggers, data version control and management.  Simple you don't need to know these.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:01 AM
  • Well not really, because it says "may include but not limited to"... thanks anyway;-)
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

I don't know if your question is already answered, but I will mark Jeffs post as answer to close this thread. In the skills overview of any exam you can read "may include" because Microsoft will not say that a topic appears in an exam for sure.

If your question isn't answered, just come back to this thread.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Saturday, September 1, 2012 12:37 AM
    Answerer