Newbie whs build success RRS feed

• General discussion

• Apologies for yet another whs hardware thread, but I thought there might be others like me who have never built any kind of computer before and could benefit from my experience. I spent a bunch of time on this forum and others putting together a hardware list for a low power consumption setup to backup our 3 household pc's and to run a few add-ins (whiist, utorrent, share printer, maybe firefly). I looked at the HP, but decided I could get better bang for the buck building my own plus a bit more capable system to run the add-ins. Here's what I ended up getting from newegg with some comments on why:

- S/W MS WIN HOME SERVER 32-BIT 1PK % - OEM

- CPU AMD|BE2350 2.1G AM2 - 45w dual core, fast enough and low power

- CASE ANTEC|NSK1380 350W RT - small and looks really nice, has 80+ power supply

- MB GIGABYTE GA-MA69VM-S2 - 690 chipset is low power draw, inexpensive, and this model skips hdmi (not needed for whs)

- MEM 1Gx2|PATRIOT 240P PDC22G6400LLK - 2G is probably overkill, but had a rebate and got a free 4G usb drive

- 2x HD 500G|HITC 7K 16M HDP725050GLA360 - 2 500G hitachi "green" drives run at 7200rpm (WD's run at 5400) with similar power draw

- Borrowed a dvd drive from my home machine for the build.

Total came to $660 with shipping (after $40 memory rebate)

I found http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698319 to be really helpful because it has step by step pics of a really similar build. This thread was also helpful http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2236187,00.asp

I got it up and running in about half a day following the manuals and the above threads. After assembling, I connected a monitor and keyboard and changed the BIOS to boot from CD and installed WHS with no problems. The mobo came with a driver CD for XP and an install utility that I ran after installing WHS, again with no problems. I left the drives in IDE mode after reading about the problems people have had trying to enable AHCI on the 690 boards (if anyone has figured out how to do this post-install, I'd love to know!). After install, I turned off onboard sound and gpu in the BIOS. The hardest part was configuring my router, local machines, and firewalls to set up the homeserver website and remote access, but a little forum hunting got me through.

I love the case - small and cool looking and had plenty of room for the two drives (could add 2 more, but there aren't any more SATA power cords from the PS). The server's working flawlessly, and temps are cool without attaching the included case fan (CPU around 24C, system at 35C). The only thing I don't like is the stock cpu fan which makes some noise and runs at 3250 rpm constantly even with the variable "smart" fan control enabled in BIOS.

If you're a newbie like me considering a build, I hope this helps you feel more comfortable taking the plunge. Most of what I worried about didn't happen, and it's really much easier than it looks!

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:39 AM

All replies

• Good result!  80+ PSU defo a good idea - do you have a power meter?  If so, could you post the idle power consumption of this machine?

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:09 AM