none
Odd "my forums threads" behavior

Question

• I subscribe to a number of forums in the MVP set, and a number of forums in the regular set.  If I just login and go to "My forums threads", it only shows me the MVP forums, even though most of those have not had activity in many months.

But if I go to "My forums", choose a non-MVP forum, like Visual C# Development, then choose one of the messages in that forum, THEN if I pick "My forums threads", it shows me the general forums.

Someone is remember a default state there that I would like to change.  Can that be done?

Tim Roberts, Driver MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Friday, March 11, 2016 12:25 AM

Answers

• I have found that the "My forums threads" view does not refresh as expected. After a refresh, I think I still see old threads.

My strategy is to click on the link to the TechNet forums main home page, then from the "Quick access" menu select "My forums threads". This forces a new query and I seem to get the latest activity.

I consider this a newly recognized bug.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, March 11, 2016 12:35 AM
  • I'd suggest sending in an email to the forums team about this, since they seem to prefer email over looking through this forum now. The address is fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com. I can't test this personally and I don't really use the 'My forums threads' view very often.

Friday, March 11, 2016 12:40 PM

All replies

• I have found that the "My forums threads" view does not refresh as expected. After a refresh, I think I still see old threads.

My strategy is to click on the link to the TechNet forums main home page, then from the "Quick access" menu select "My forums threads". This forces a new query and I seem to get the latest activity.

I consider this a newly recognized bug.

Friday, March 11, 2016 12:35 AM
  • Someone is remember a default state there that I would like to change.  Can that be done?

This was a problem when I was using them and I guess it still is.  It is a "branding" issue.  I think I mentioned it in here when it was happening to me.  I had to edit the URL of the normal forums if I had entered them after first visiting the MVP ones.   It was an extreme example of the differences you can still notice if you start from MSDN forums instead of TechNet or only Microsoft as your server prefix.  I don't know if I will be able to find that reference again though...  Of course not.  In fact, are the MVP forums even there any more?  The View All list doesn't find them but I think it used to.  Everybody has gone to Yammer.   ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 11, 2016 4:34 AM
  • I'd suggest sending in an email to the forums team about this, since they seem to prefer email over looking through this forum now. The address is fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com. I can't test this personally and I don't really use the 'My forums threads' view very often.

Friday, March 11, 2016 12:40 PM
  • I'm experiencing this error 

Bad Request - Request Too Long

HTTP Error 400. The size of the request headers is too long.

Quite often today. The line in the address bar is very long indeed when it happens.

I already reported it to fissues.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:51 PM
  • I got it again and this is what I'm getting in the URL - which is weird:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=announce%2Cpartnerdevaspnet%2Cdatabasedesign%2Csqldatabasemirroring%2Creportabug%2Cforumsredesign%2Csqlgetstarted%2CTechnetmod%2CMsdnmod%2CProfile%2Csqlkjappmsmgmt%2Csqldataaccess%2Csqldatabaseengine%2Csqldocumentation%2Csqlexpress%2Csqlkjmanageability%2Csqlservermigration%2Csqlreportingservices%2Csqlserversamples%2Csqlsecurity%2Csqlsetupandupgrade%2Csqltools%2Csqlxml%2Csqlru%2Csuggest%2CTNWikiCommunityCouncil%2Ctnwiki%2Ctransactsql%2Cvisualfoxprogeneral%2Cfordataru

Why would all my forums try to be added to that request? Why not just pass the user name to the method instead?

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Naomi, I believe that is the url for your "my forums threads". Maybe the size of the url cause some of the problems we see. However I haven't seen your error recently. 

Friday, March 11, 2016 8:29 PM
  • I'm seeing that error in Google Chrome and got it couple of times today.

I normally work this way - go to 'My forums threads', then from that list go to some thread, then using back button of the browser go back to the list and click F5 to refresh, then go to some thread again. At this point the error happens.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, March 11, 2016 8:38 PM
  • Also, I have quite a lot of forums in my list (about 25).

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, March 11, 2016 8:40 PM
  • HTTP Error 400. The size of the request headers is too long.

More commonly it is a Cookies record.  Does it happen in InPrivate browsing mode?  In any case a trace would give you more clues.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 11, 2016 10:18 PM
  • If I will be InPrivate I would not be able to reply, right?

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, March 11, 2016 10:28 PM
  • If I will be InPrivate I would not be able to reply, right?

I think it would only affect what Cookies you were starting with.  You would have to login but after that it would just be whatever Cookies you were getting from the server for your account.  So, you might see a difference that way in traces.  E.g. instead of sending old Cookies initially with your first request you would just be sending new ones (potentially).  The main thing to check though would be the lengths of the records involved in each case or whether you were sending more records one way than the other.

I suppose Mike is right though.  E.g. the fissues people wouldn't have to make guesses about their implementation the way that we do.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, March 12, 2016 12:03 AM
  • This thread is in both the "My threads" and "My forums threads" views for me. In "My threads', it show 11 replies, the last by Robert. But in "My forums threads" it shows 10 replies, the last by Naomi 2 hours earlier. This no matter how many times I refreshed, including going back to the forums home page and selecting 'My forums threads" from there. I think I can no longer use this view. I miss too much.

Saturday, March 12, 2016 2:42 AM
  • Naomi, I just got the same, or a very similar error. I have never seen this before. I clicked on a search result, using IE 9 (which I must use for the TechNet Wiki).

The url was not large, although the page was old.

Saturday, March 12, 2016 2:49 PM
  • [Image message:  Request header or Cookie Too Large]

So press Ctrl-Shift-P and try with new Cookies.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, March 12, 2016 5:07 PM
  • It's tricky to try to categorize this issue.  Part of it is related to the URL.  I always start at social.msdn.microsoft.com, but when I do the "My forums threads", it sends me to "social.microsoft.com", and that has the old categories.  If I force that URL back to "social.msdn.microsoft.com", then I see the forums I expect.

Email to the support folks has so far been unproductive.

Monday, March 14, 2016 5:21 PM
  • Part of it is related to the URL.  I always start at social.msdn.microsoft.com

Try social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums ?

Monday, March 14, 2016 5:37 PM
  • I assume Ctrl+Shift+P is the combination for IE, right? Because for me it brings NovaPDF dialog.

I'm getting that same error constantly today. I practically can not work the forums (e.g. I can not open My Forums Threads view at all).

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, March 14, 2016 5:58 PM
  •  when I do the "My forums threads"

Sorry, I just realized that this is about "My forums threads" which is not something that I ever use.  My Threads is mixed and My Forums is mixed but as soon as I try to use My Forums Threads the branding takes over and I see only the subset of my forums which matches the branding that I start from.  This makes sense because they have to build a Selected Forums list to match that subset of your complete My Forums list.  In contrast when I use My Threads there is no Selected Forums list so I can see all brands of thread under any brand that I start from.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, March 14, 2016 7:09 PM
  • Was it the single time you reproduced the problem?

I had email exchange with fissues and forum's feedback and they can not repro the problem and as a result don't want to do anything about it.

But I'm getting this problem on almost every 3rd click on the site now and it is really getting in the way of my using the forums. I don't want to switch to another browser just for the forums as Chrome is my main browser and I don't use anything else on a regular basis.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, March 14, 2016 9:53 PM
  • It's like there is some saved state somewhere.  The first time I bring up the site after starting Chrome, it gets the wrong category.  After I issue a magic spell and bring it back, it works correctly from then on, until I kill the browser.

I tried starting up Firefox from scratch, and it went to the right place.  That suggests a cookie problem, but I wiped the cookies for social.msdn.microsoft.com, and it didn't change.

Monday, March 14, 2016 10:02 PM
  • How exactly did you wipe specific cookies in Google Chrome?

I think you need to also wipe cookies for all MS sites for the forums.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, March 14, 2016 10:14 PM
  • You can use Ctrl-Shift-J to bring up the Developer's Tools, then Resources, Cookies.  You can delete individual cookies, or all for that site.  There were a couple dozen for social.msdn.microsoft.com.

Monday, March 14, 2016 10:52 PM