WinXP Rekey Question RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if you purchase a new retail key for WinXP Pro, if you can through the WGA online or telephone process rekey a copy of WinXP which was originally OEM.

I have a development environment that is particularly tricky to configure (lots of fairly obsolete and obscure third-party libraries and a complex nmake build) that I manged to disk2vhd and migrate, and the new machine loads up under VM (both VPC and Parallels on a Mac) but the new "machine" of course wants an activation.  The old environment was an OEM installation on a laptop.  I would be estatic to purchase a new copy of retail XP to save myself a lot of work - I just want to know if it can be made to work.

Thanks for any insight.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

Generally Retail product Keys won't work in OEM Software.  However, you may try getting an OEM System Builder  version of XP.  That key should work in your OEM VM setup of XP.

Please be carefull of were you buy the software. XP is no longer being shipped by Microsoft (the OEM System Builder version may still be shipped but the Retail version is definitly not) so genuine copies are becoming harder to come by.  Pirates are taking advantage of this and have basically flooded the market (thru auctions and fly by night store sites) with fake copies of XP.

I'm not really supposed to promote non-microsoft websites, but personaly, there isn't any e-tailers I trust enough to buy a copy of XP from, except newegg.com. I have checked and they do have it in stock, but it is pricy (supply and demand).  Again, this is my own personal opinion.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

Generally Retail product Keys won't work in OEM Software.  However, you may try getting an OEM System Builder  version of XP.  That key should work in your OEM VM setup of XP.

Please be carefull of were you buy the software. XP is no longer being shipped by Microsoft (the OEM System Builder version may still be shipped but the Retail version is definitly not) so genuine copies are becoming harder to come by.  Pirates are taking advantage of this and have basically flooded the market (thru auctions and fly by night store sites) with fake copies of XP.

I'm not really supposed to promote non-microsoft websites, but personaly, there isn't any e-tailers I trust enough to buy a copy of XP from, except newegg.com. I have checked and they do have it in stock, but it is pricy (supply and demand).  Again, this is my own personal opinion.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:55 PM
  • Hello Jim Small,

The only program that I am aware of that performs alchemy on Windows XP installations is the Product Key Updater Utility:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668

The original function of this utility was to convert nongenuine Volume Licensing installations of XP Pro to genuine retail or OEM licenses of XP Pro.  It sounds like this utility could be of use to you if it were able to work in a different direction, that is, change an OEM license installation of XP Pro into a retail license installation.

I can't say that I recall anyone posting here that they tried and were successful at doing that, but for you it might be worth the effort to try.

Let us know if you were able to make it fly.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:40 PM