Login to WHS server asks for router user/pw instead RRS feed

• Question

• Just last Tuesday login to my WHS was working perfectly as it has been for months. I tried again Thursday and I am now prompted to login to my router. It seems this began after the last update to WHS.

At first I thought this was a problem when inside my network, but it occurs everywhere.

I turned off remote access and had WHS repair it. WHS says all is OK. But remote access simply doesn't work.

I have no real idea how to troubleshoot or fix this.

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:27 AM

All replies

• Reboot your router. If that doesn't take care of it, dig out your router's manuals and find out how to turn off remote administration. Leave local admin active (obviously).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Ken - thanks for your post. I re-booted my router (ASUS RT-N16). I verifed that "web access from LAN" is turned off. The problem is unchanged. When I try to access hofffam.homeserver.com from inside my network I get a prompt to login to my router.

If I try it from outside my network my server can't be accessed.

I turned off remote access. Then I turned it on again. WHS says it is activated.

I'm stumped!

Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:00 AM
  • Ken - thanks for your post. I re-booted my router (ASUS RT-N16). I verifed that "web access from LAN" is turned off. The problem is unchanged. When I try to access hofffam.homeserver.com from inside my network I get a prompt to login to my router.
    Some routers have problems with loopback requests.  In any event, it doesn't matter because you don't need the website from within your LAN anyway.

Do you see the logon page from outside your LAN?  You can try going to Shields Up! and doing a custom port scan for 80, 443, and 4125, then post the results here.

I turned off remote access. Then I turned it on again. WHS says it is activated.

I'm stumped!

Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:53 AM
  • When I go to

I am presented with your logon page.  Works from Korea.

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

Ken - thanks for your post. I re-booted my router (ASUS RT-N16). I verifed that "web access from LAN" is turned off. The problem is unchanged. When I try to access hofffam.homeserver.com from inside my network I get a prompt to login to my router.

I'm stumped!

BullDawg
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:37 AM
  • I'm presented with the logon page from my connection here in Sweden too. Works with both http and https.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Damn. I am at the office now and it works again. Perhaps the re-boot of the router was successful. Thanks for bearing with me.

Dan

Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:14 PM