The backup contains no volumes error, WHS corrupting volume information? RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed WHS on Intel Johnston board with WD Scorpio Blue 500GB drive.  Silent, low wattage system.  Everything seems to be working, but when I go to check the two Win7 clients, and look at backup details, no volume is shown and so I cant view any files!  So I decide to do manual backup and the volumes come back.  Next day I check again and the volumes are gone!  The volumes are still on the XP netbook but probably because it never connected to WHS.   Note that there are no error messages anywhere.  Network is healthy and the backups on W7 clients state complete, but shows no volume.  The srver storage lists 216GB, so data is probably there but volume information is missing.  I searched for this error and couldn't find anything.  Can't believe I am only person in the world to see this error.

The other problem is the WHS Console times out intermittently from 1 minute on.  Shared drives always work and the Remote Connection always works.  Any suggestions here? 

On the plus side, I can see the shared drives from Nokia N810 Internet tablet and Moto Droid Android system.  The Remote login works from Droid as well but can only see files, cant download or stream.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:04 PM

All replies

• Just clicked on repair on WHS backup settings and in 3 minutes stated that repair was completed (didn't mention any errors found).

However, the backups still don't list volumes.  I backed up manually and the latest back shows the volume.  I clicked on the delete all the old backups and will click the Clean Up now button, but I am afraid that the volumes will disappear tomorrow.  Maybe I should backup server drive manually to USB drive while volumes still show up?

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Have you bugged this on Connect?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:22 PM
  • Ken,

Don't understand your question!  Are you asking if Remote Login through phone or outside home PC Connection screws up the server?  I haven't logged in that way in last day and volume still corrupted.

Recently installed TV Manager, Event Viewer, Tasks Viewer, Addin Central and had from start Asoft AutoExit, Lights Out. Could any of the new Add-ins cause problem?

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:10 AM
  • Ken,

Don't understand your question! 

He's asking if you filed a bug report on Connect.

Are you asking if Remote Login through phone or outside home PC Connection screws up the server?  I haven't logged in that way in last day and volume still corrupted.

Recently installed TV Manager, Event Viewer, Tasks Viewer, Addin Central and had from start Asoft AutoExit, Lights Out. Could any of the new Add-ins cause problem?

It's possible.
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:14 AM
  • Darn.  It just happened again on one W7 client.  I have WHS Ver 1 installed.  The Connect program is all about Vail.  Is there any bug report for WHS Ver 1?

How do I collect log info?

Should I just turn off automatic backups and just perform them manually?

Friday, August 27, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Darn.  It just happened again on one W7 client.  I have WHS Ver 1 installed.  The Connect program is all about Vail.  Is there any bug report for WHS Ver 1? 
    Yes, there is.

How do I collect log info?

Using the WHS Toolkit.

Should I just turn off automatic backups and just perform them manually?

Friday, August 27, 2010 4:08 PM
  • kariya21,

I did load WHS Toolkit and sent error report.  The Connector Troubleshooter did not report any errors.

I see many of these errors in log on day that volume may have been lost - DEFilter!CopySecurityDescriptorWorker: Error c000005a from ZwSetSecurityObject(target)

Does that meaning anything to anyone?

Your response to turn off autobackups question was cut off.

PS

I was going to add another storage drive to WHS anyway, so I could format server and try from scratch with another drive for system drive such as the WDC 640GB used in the HP LX195. 

Where is link for exact steps so I don't accidently cause any mistakes? I have an engineering degree, have used computers for 20 years on UNIX, VMS, triple booted Linux with W98, XP, W7.  How difficult can this HOME server be to use without an error??   

Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:14 PM
  • kariya21,

I did load WHS Toolkit and sent error report.  The Connector Troubleshooter did not report any errors.

I see many of these errors in log on day that volume may have been lost - DEFilter!CopySecurityDescriptorWorker: Error c000005a from ZwSetSecurityObject(target)

Does that meaning anything to anyone?

Your response to turn off autobackups question was cut off. 

(Oops, sorry I forgot to respond to that question.  :)  )  You can do that if you want, but I wouldn't (at least not a permanent basis).  Now if you filed a bug report on Connect, you should probably do manual backups for a few days at least (giving MS enough time to respond to your bug report).

PS

I was going to add another storage drive to WHS anyway, so I could format server and try from scratch with another drive for system drive such as the WDC 640GB used in the HP LX195.

Where is link for exact steps so I don't accidently cause any mistakes?

Do a forum search for "Server Reinstallation" or "Server Recovery".  It's posted all over the place.  :)

I have an engineering degree, have used computers for 20 years on UNIX, VMS, triple booted Linux with W98, XP, W7.  How difficult can this HOME server be to use without an error??   

Mine's been running fine for nearly 3 years without a single problem.
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Thanks for info.  I looked all over the connect link and went to submit and all I get is

Select Feedback Form
    WINDOWS HOME SERVER

Bug Forms:

Suggestion Forms:
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:37 AM