Implementing a task recurrence engine in MS CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking to implement a MS CRM 2011 task entity with recurrence. An example of a recurring task might be “Renew the company’s website domain registration once every 24 months.” Unfortunately, MS CRM 2011 does not seem to have a powerful recurrence engine like Outlook/Exchange and, I believe, SQL Server do. Are there any third party add-ons that achieve this, or do you think I need to build this from scratch? Alternatively, is there any way to harness the scheduler from Outlook/Exchange or SQL Server, to trigger the instantiation of a task in our custom CRM task entity?

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Monday, February 24, 2014 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Howard,

I am working with Dynamics CRM for 10 years now and have been involved in quite some implementations, partly for large international companies. For me your requirements do not seem so common. I do not think there is a tool for this, especially targeted on Dynamics CRM. The point is, CRM does not offer useful options when it comes to managing recurring tasks. In most cases I tend to revert to straightforward custom components, like a Windows service or a Console application that is started every day, hour or whatever.

You could combine these options with a custom entity holding recurrence details, FetchXML, workflows etc.

If this post is an answer or helpful, please do not forget to vote!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:48 PM

All replies

• The easiest thing to do would be creating a basic console application and schedule it using Windows Scheduled Tasks.

Monday, February 24, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Hello Henk,

Thanks for your response. The problem with that approach is that I have roughly 100 tasks that I want to convert to be recurring. There are many different patterns of recurrence (e.g., 2nd of each month, 1st day of each quarter, every other Wednesday, etc). Using Windows Scheduled Tasks for this purpose would very quickly become unmaintainable.

Therefore, I am looking for a more scalable solution. This must be a common requirement by companies. There must be a CRM solution to this somewhere, but I have not found it yet.

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Hi Howard,

I am working with Dynamics CRM for 10 years now and have been involved in quite some implementations, partly for large international companies. For me your requirements do not seem so common. I do not think there is a tool for this, especially targeted on Dynamics CRM. The point is, CRM does not offer useful options when it comes to managing recurring tasks. In most cases I tend to revert to straightforward custom components, like a Windows service or a Console application that is started every day, hour or whatever.

You could combine these options with a custom entity holding recurrence details, FetchXML, workflows etc.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:48 PM
  • Thank you Henk,

Your commentary based upon your years of experience is comforting. Still, it sounds strange, as every single company in the world that uses CRM also inevitably has recurring tasks that they need to record and instantiate. It seems like a gaping hole in the market. I would certainly be interested in purchasing a relevant CRM add-on.

In any case, thanks for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Keith

R K Howard

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:17 PM
  • Well, I do not deny there is often a need for recurring tasks, but in most cases the number of recurring tasks is limited (less than 10).

Implementers tend to work around it by e.g. using (and unfortunately also often abusing) workflows and middleware (like Scribe).

Developers, of course, prefer to build this kind of software themselves.

It looks like this leaves not much room for commercial products in this field. ;-)

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:13 PM