Backup Configuration List Corruption RRS feed

• Question

• I have the same problem that has in part been reported in the forums with no solution!

See -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2363375&SiteID=50

My problem is with the Backup Configuration of the Volumes on 1 of my 5 Computer Systems that backup on Windows Home Server. My Computer Systems are running Windows XP with All Current Updates, that is networked with a 100 mbps Ethernet network using a LinkSys Wireless Router and an Extra Computer installed with WHS Server Software and is a current and updated RTM Evaluation Version from Microsoft Supplied Installation Disks. The Installed Versions are: –

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6

Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.8

Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6

Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6

Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.8

The Backup Configuration Corruption occurred when I added a larger hard drive and merged the volumes on the 2 hard drives in this one system. The Backup Configuration still lists the old volumes as unknown ghosts and when the new compiled hard disks are selected and the excluded folders/files window is opened - some of the 2 hard drives folders are missing and/or listed as unknown and there are hundreds of unknown folders/files of different sizes are listed! Also the automatically excluded System Page File and the Client Side Cache Folders are not listed!

I have tried the following steps to fix this one computer’s backup configuration corruption with no success:

1. Select/deselect the active volumes and save the different configurations

2. Remove and reinstall the WHS Connection Software on the local computer.

3. Run Chkdsk on the Local Client and WHS Server hard drives.

4. Reinstall the WHS Server Software from DVD Disk.

5. Removed Directory Size Program and DirSize.dll

6. Removed the WHS Connection Software Off of the Affected Local Computer and    Removed this Computer from the Backup List and Ran Backup Cleanup. Reinstalled the WHS Connector Software on the affected computer and the Backup Configuration showed the same Corrupted Unknown Volume and Exclude List, but the View Backups Feature listed No Backups for this Computer – they were removed and cleaned!

I can’t find where the Backup Configuration is stored and/or cached, so it can be manually cleaned! I think it would be located on the local computer, but I can’t find it – Any Help Here! !  ! If the configuration is located in the Local Computer the next step wouldn't fix the problem, but thats all I can think of to find a solution!

The next step is to completely remove the WHS Server Software and reinstall a virgin system. But I have Saved Archives of older non-existent volumes that I don’t want to loose by doing a clean install! !  !   ! Does anyone know of a cleaner or a procedure that will fix my problem without having to do a clean WHS install?  I would buy the WHS Retail OEM Version if that would fix the problem, but I don’t want to Drop the Buck$ until I have had more time to evaluate the Windows Home Server. I think it does a good job of backing up for the home user and it will restore a simple hard drive very nicely, but for a complex network it may need some more development work.

- - - Thanks for the Input - Shorto

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Shorto,

I have seen this problem as well and I will get someone on the team to expand on this thread with more of what we know about it.

First off, from my understanding this corruption in the display of the directories to exclude from a backup are not going to cause any critical harm. We apparently have a problem with reading the disk properly, I think this is in Vista only, and displaying the contents in the UI.

Second, it should not effect your backups. If you run a backup and then subsequently open it up from the Home Server Console, you should see all of your directories and files that should be backed up in there.

Third, I believe we have a fix for this in the upcoming PP1 release. I have personally witnessed the display looking correct after installing PP1 and have been able to successfully backup.

I have asked one of the people on the team who worked on this to chime in with what details I may have failed to mention or may have gotten wrong. Wink I am a Community Lead not a developer.

I hope this was helpful.

Kevin Beares

Windows Home Server Community Lead

WSSG

Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:44 PM
  • Thanks Shorto,

So, you do understand that we are not creating corrupt backups. You just need the functionality of the exlusion list to work as designed so you can exclude these files from the backup.  Is it possible to add another drive and move the files you want to exclude to this volume so you could simply exclude the volume?

Kevin

Friday, February 29, 2008 10:09 PM
  •  Kevin Beares MSFT wrote:

Thanks Shorto,

So, you do understand that we are not creating corrupt backups. You just need the functionality of the exlusion list to work as designed so you can exclude these files from the backup.  Is it possible to add another drive and move the files you want to exclude to this volume so you could simply exclude the volume?

Kevin

Kevin Beares workaround for this problem is the correct solution for now! Maybe the WHS Development Team will have a fix for the Excluded Folder Bug released soon via Update or PP1!

I preformed a Clean Software Install for the WHS Server and Connector Software on my affected Win XP pro SP2 Local Computer and the same Backup Configuration Excluded Folders Corruption was still there! Of Course this procedure reformatted the WHS Server Hard Drives and did exactly what I didn’t want to do and all my Backups were gone! The Corruption Error is in the way Backup Configuration Compiles the Folders to Exclude and then with the folders that need to be excluded not listed or defined properly, they can’t be selected for exclusion. So the best workaround is to move the Data you want to Exclude from the Backup to another Volume that is not selected in the normal backup configuration. The other Local Computer Backup Configurations that do not list the unknown folder corruption will still work as intended, but when the Excluded Folder List gets corrupted it will stay corrupted. Alas - All the Backups Are Good – You Just Can’t Exclude Folders Properly!

Regards - - - Shorto

Monday, March 3, 2008 4:54 PM

All replies

•  

Shorto,

I would install the "Windows Home Server Toolkit".

Install it on one of your clients and then install the toolikit WHS addin from there.

Next start the WHS console and select settings, toolkit->backup tab. It has an option to reset the backup database.

Mind that this will wipe all backups...

You might also check this

Good luck!

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Hi Shorto,

I have seen this problem as well and I will get someone on the team to expand on this thread with more of what we know about it.

First off, from my understanding this corruption in the display of the directories to exclude from a backup are not going to cause any critical harm. We apparently have a problem with reading the disk properly, I think this is in Vista only, and displaying the contents in the UI.

Second, it should not effect your backups. If you run a backup and then subsequently open it up from the Home Server Console, you should see all of your directories and files that should be backed up in there.

Third, I believe we have a fix for this in the upcoming PP1 release. I have personally witnessed the display looking correct after installing PP1 and have been able to successfully backup.

I have asked one of the people on the team who worked on this to chime in with what details I may have failed to mention or may have gotten wrong. Wink I am a Community Lead not a developer.

I hope this was helpful.

Kevin Beares

Windows Home Server Community Lead

WSSG

Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:44 PM
  •  

Thanks Guy’s – I appreciate your input very, very much!

I have installed the Windows Home Server Toolkit. My problem still remains, that I am trying to save my Backup Archives. I’m sure that Backup Reset or a Clean Server Install will maybe clear up the Backup Configuration Corruption, but at the expense of loosing all my Backups. Like I stated earlier a Server Reinstallation didn’t fix the Corruption! My Systems are running under Windows XP Pro SP2 with latest updates. I sure hope the release of PP1 will solve the problem, but in the mean time I guess I will have to loose my Backup Archives to fix the Configuration Corruption if that will correct the problem! Please Respond if anyone knows another solution or procedure I could try to fix my problem, short of loosing my Backup Archives! - - - Shorto

Friday, February 29, 2008 4:22 PM
  • I forgot to mention in the above Post - that the Backup Configuration Corruption that is for this one Computer, that when trying to Exclude Folders during configuration the large Image/Save Folders that I want to be excluded from backup can’t be Identified (they are Not Listed In the Display List), so the Server Data Drive just Fills Up during Backup. I have a 750 gb Drive on this machine that I cannot backup because of this! So that is why I can’t just ignore the Unknown Folders/Files! - - - Shorto

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Thanks Shorto,

Kevin

Friday, February 29, 2008 10:09 PM

Thanks Shorto,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Yes, I know and that is exactly what I am doing now to enable backup protection for my essential data and the Data Backups that are being made are Good. But I just wanted to fix the Corrupted Backup Configuration settings and make them work the way they were designed! It just Bugs Me when something is not working the way it’s designed to work and I have to work around It!! ! Do you know where the Backup Configurations are Stored, are they part of the Server D:/Data/folder Database or are they stored on the Local Computer? I assume that they are part of the Database, because I have reinstalled everything except the Database itself and the corruption still exists! If Development knows about this problem, then they will surely fix it in the next Version Release – Say Amen!! !  !

Thanks A Lot - - - Shorto

Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:46 PM

Thanks Shorto,

Kevin

Kevin Beares workaround for this problem is the correct solution for now! Maybe the WHS Development Team will have a fix for the Excluded Folder Bug released soon via Update or PP1!

I preformed a Clean Software Install for the WHS Server and Connector Software on my affected Win XP pro SP2 Local Computer and the same Backup Configuration Excluded Folders Corruption was still there! Of Course this procedure reformatted the WHS Server Hard Drives and did exactly what I didn’t want to do and all my Backups were gone! The Corruption Error is in the way Backup Configuration Compiles the Folders to Exclude and then with the folders that need to be excluded not listed or defined properly, they can’t be selected for exclusion. So the best workaround is to move the Data you want to Exclude from the Backup to another Volume that is not selected in the normal backup configuration. The other Local Computer Backup Configurations that do not list the unknown folder corruption will still work as intended, but when the Excluded Folder List gets corrupted it will stay corrupted. Alas - All the Backups Are Good – You Just Can’t Exclude Folders Properly!

Regards - - - Shorto

Monday, March 3, 2008 4:54 PM