Replacing Mobo :-( RRS feed

• Question

• From what I'm reading I think I shouldn't have any problem recovering my data.. but wanted to clarify..   My mobo has died.  I'm going to replace with a diff model, altogether. 

I have a sys drive and 2 duplicating data drives..: 

- What are the steps to ensure my data is preserved/recoverable?

- Can I do a "reinstall" with new/diff mobo or even a new/clean sys drive?

- Would I have my data drives connected at reinstall?  or not connected until os is up and running?

Thanks for pointers! 

BTW.. is there any documentation that overviews hardware replace scenarios??  (besides just searching forums)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 2:41 PM

Answers

• The basic steps are to replace the motherboard, connect the drives so that your current system drive will be the first drive presented by the BIOS on the new motherboard, and do a server reinstallation. If you don't get that option in addition to a new installation, get back to us and we can help you with other recovery methods.

You will need your data drives connected for the server reinstallation.

If you want to provide an extra level of protection for your data, you can connect each drive to another computer (one at a time) and copy everything from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.. That will get a copy of your shares. You can also copy your backup database much the same way; the Home Computer Backup technical brief has more information on that. You will need to do this with all your server's drives, including the system drive's D: partition to be certain you get every file.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by AeroMedia Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:48 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:27 PM
  • If the hardware is similar, you could also reattach the disks in the proper sequence to the new motherboard and boot the system. Once it comes up, you are still able to update drivers and if necessary reactivate the product.
    If the system comes not up you can still go the way of server reinstallation (if the system also does not boot, after you changed the SATA controller mode from AHCI to IDE or vice versa, depending from your original configuration).
    Sometimes this works perfectly, sometimes not, so watch the status of such a system especially carefully.
    It's to assume, that the assigned IP address for the network adapter will be different, so that you have to run discovery.exe from each client (located in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 10, 2008 2:23 PM

All replies

• The basic steps are to replace the motherboard, connect the drives so that your current system drive will be the first drive presented by the BIOS on the new motherboard, and do a server reinstallation. If you don't get that option in addition to a new installation, get back to us and we can help you with other recovery methods.

You will need your data drives connected for the server reinstallation.

If you want to provide an extra level of protection for your data, you can connect each drive to another computer (one at a time) and copy everything from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.. That will get a copy of your shares. You can also copy your backup database much the same way; the Home Computer Backup technical brief has more information on that. You will need to do this with all your server's drives, including the system drive's D: partition to be certain you get every file.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:27 PM
  • If the hardware is similar, you could also reattach the disks in the proper sequence to the new motherboard and boot the system. Once it comes up, you are still able to update drivers and if necessary reactivate the product.
    If the system comes not up you can still go the way of server reinstallation (if the system also does not boot, after you changed the SATA controller mode from AHCI to IDE or vice versa, depending from your original configuration).
    Sometimes this works perfectly, sometimes not, so watch the status of such a system especially carefully.
    It's to assume, that the assigned IP address for the network adapter will be different, so that you have to run discovery.exe from each client (located in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 10, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Thanks for the replies--

All went well, actually.  It couldn't have gone better.

All my data is there.. just as it was.

WHS makes me happy!!

D
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:48 PM