Backup Error - Laptop stopped backing up with an error reading or writing from hard drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A couple of weeks ago one of my computers stopped backing up to our server.  The error I get is:

An error occurred reading or writing from the computer's hard drive.
    C:

This is a 32bit Vista laptop that has been backing up fine for the past year.  20 days ago, I started getting this error.  I have run >chkdsk /f c: to perform a boot time check about 4 times. The utility returned no errors.  In the old days when version 1.0 released this would have fixed the error, but not so now.  I guess I could run spinrite or perhaps install perfect disk to see if either can find bad sectors that chkdsk cannot, but I wanted to check with the forum first to see if the problems could exist elsewhere.

Thank you,

Roger
    - Roger
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:17 PM

Answers

• Do a full sector scan with the "/r" parameter - note: this may take a while
    • Marked as answer by Roger Huston Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:23 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:21 PM

All replies

• Do a full sector scan with the "/r" parameter - note: this may take a while
    • Marked as answer by Roger Huston Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:23 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Thanks doing it now.  Funny I forgot about that command and I have been running chkdsk since the DOS days.

- Roger
    - Roger
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:29 PM
  • I can't say that my situation was the same as yours, but I had a similar issue.
    I had a "green" hard drive that would go to a power down state and WHS wouldn't get it spun up fast enough before it started squaking about errors in the hard drive. I finally replaced the drive with a "non-green" hard drive and the issue has gone away.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:50 PM