Virus software for Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to Windows Home server.  Should I be running virus software on the server?  Everything around it has it but with remote access etc. I would think I would have to.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:44 PM

Answers

• Strange question - other people ask for Antivirus software and you want viruses? ;-)

If you wish to install Antivirus software on your server, it should be a software directly designed for Windows Home Server like the Avast package.

As long as you are using the home server only as it is designed (File Share access and Backup), updates for WHS are applied automatically and your clients have up to date Antivirus software installed, the risk of an infection for the server seems to be low - so in such situations a Virus scanner on the server is not that urgent.
    If you from time to time use the desktop of your server or directly access the Internet from there, Antivirus software is recommended.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:44 PM
  • I run antivirus software on my server, specifically Avast! for Windows Home Server. I do so because my wife and I have house guests occasionally, they may bring computers into the house, and I want my hardware and data as protected as possible. If I don't run AV on my server, I'll have to insist on running a full scan on a guest's computer before I let anyone connect to our network, and that seems like an unconscionable intrusion. :)

If you never have house guests with computers, you have good (up to date, modern engine) AV on all other computers in your house, and you never use your server desktop, then probably you can get by without.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:45 PM

All replies

• Strange question - other people ask for Antivirus software and you want viruses? ;-)

If you wish to install Antivirus software on your server, it should be a software directly designed for Windows Home Server like the Avast package.

As long as you are using the home server only as it is designed (File Share access and Backup), updates for WHS are applied automatically and your clients have up to date Antivirus software installed, the risk of an infection for the server seems to be low - so in such situations a Virus scanner on the server is not that urgent.
    If you from time to time use the desktop of your server or directly access the Internet from there, Antivirus software is recommended.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:44 PM
  • I run antivirus software on my server, specifically Avast! for Windows Home Server. I do so because my wife and I have house guests occasionally, they may bring computers into the house, and I want my hardware and data as protected as possible. If I don't run AV on my server, I'll have to insist on running a full scan on a guest's computer before I let anyone connect to our network, and that seems like an unconscionable intrusion. :)

If you never have house guests with computers, you have good (up to date, modern engine) AV on all other computers in your house, and you never use your server desktop, then probably you can get by without.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Hi,

as another option I have installed ClamWin for WHS. It is not a realtime scanner so does not affect server performance - but it does allow me to run a scan if I have visitors.

It's still beta but I've had no problems with it

Samalama
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:52 AM