Off topic - HELP! God a strange (probably) virus!! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello!

First off, I'm writing this from my infected HP Pavillion Internet Tablet. I must have gotten the virus only in the last 20 minutes, because everything was working fine up until then.

Syptoms: The right mouse button is disabled, so are most features of the operating system (when I click on a program it won't open, when I click on the start menu, most programs won't open. When I click on "computer", for example, nothing happens. While the internet browser works (because I have had this window open before it happened), nothing happens when I click on browser tabs like "file", "edit", "history" etc. 

I am "allowed" to open only select programs like Notepad, but now that I opened notepad, it won't close!!! Stupid geek who made the virus. (Clicking on most programs and folders is completely unresponsive)

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, I use Safari Web Browser. I have NOT been to any unsafe websites, I have AVG anti virus open in the background. (Needless to say it opens, but when I click on "test center", nothing happens)

It seems like this started happening around the time I was browsing e-bay and uploading a picture to streetshirts.co.uk (a safe and legit website, as far as I can tell) and buying shirts off them. 

I doubt I could download any new anti virus software and run it, because of this weird execution prevention that's going on. I don't know what to do! (No, command prompt doesn't work, incase you were wondering)

The first thing I did when I noticed this strangeness was unplug both my external harddrives that I store data on. 90% of the content of my computer is backed up twice, so I'm not too worried about a re-format, should I have to. I'm wondering... I was gonna phone up a computer repair man tomorrow.. is there something I can do in the mean time?? 

All help and advice (and more information on this strangeness) is much appreciated!!!
    Monday, March 31, 2008 10:03 PM

All replies