System Disk appears to Expand and Contract RRS feed

• Question

• This is a little strange to me, but maybe it is expected behavior? The system drive C: on WHS grew from the original 20GB to 100GB, then shrank back down to 24GB (and continues to shrink), after the first backup of my other machines today. I viewed this happening in the Windows Home Server Console on the Server Storage tab, looking at the pie chart in the gray colored area.

I just rebuild my WHS (home built) because I had a lot of files that were corrupted on the previous build. (no errors reported, just AVI files that lost audio or video, Mp3 files that got shortened by several seconds, Pictures that were damaged, .exe files that wouldn't launch... those kinds of things in shared folders)

Because of the corruption I decided to get a new 1TB drive and install WHS on a single drive. 
    I have a second SATA controller and attached the old WHS drives to it, and had planned on just adding them in as server backup drives for my shared folders, that have *Duplication* turned off, as the need arises. (The old drives were attached to the machine during the OS install, but were not seen by WHS because I hadn't loaded the driver yet)

Now that the old system drives are visible to the new build (drivers loaded), is it possible that WHS is accessing the old system disks that have not been added to the pool, but are visible to the system again? (listed as Non Storage Drives in the WHS Console)

At the closing of this question the system drive has shrunk to 21GB.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,
    what you see in the pie chart as system, has changed after Power Pack 1.
    It includes now all files and folders on the disks controlled by WHS, which are not part of backups and shared folders.
    For detailed information you can check also T. Headricks posting here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,
    what you see in the pie chart as system, has changed after Power Pack 1.
    It includes now all files and folders on the disks controlled by WHS, which are not part of backups and shared folders.
    For detailed information you can check also T. Headricks posting here.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:19 PM
  • It is expected behavior then.

I am supposing that the newly added files for backup are being processed by the "System" and then later being deposited to the "PC Backups" section of the pie chart? (I noticed just now that this section also seems to be shrinking, perhaps compression going on) 

Thank you!
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Sure, temporary files, shadow copies and such stuff count to these system files.
    Almost (?) everything, which is not stored in the WHS controlled folders for client backups, Shared folders and duplicates of the shared folders should count in here, as long as it is stored on a disk, which is part of the WHS storage pool.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Thanks again Olaf,
    As I read over the thread you linked me to, I also discovered that with my single disk set up, shadow copies were being created, which filled up the drive. Those shadows were then deleted because the drive couldn't keep up, causing an HDD error which is why they were deleted. That is why my disk "shrank" back down to 21GB from the 100GB (space used up) it had grown to.

I followed the directions to disable shadow copies, and rebooted the server after the registry change given by Ken Warren,

To turn shadow copies off you will need to edit the registry on your server. Navigate to:
    Code Snippet

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes 
    and set the key SnapPeriod to 0 (zero) for each volume listed. This should be perfectly safe, and I've done it on my production server because shadow copies are unreliable on WHS, but if WHS eats your data afterward, standard disclaimers apply. Smile

I also verified that these were deleted from,

T. Headrick wrote:

4.       To reclaim the space, try the following steps:

§  Empty Recycle Bin (if you used the home server as a desktop, the Recycle Bin may have some files in it).

§  Check this folder, D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\ to view and delete any orphan shadow files.

Thanks again for your quick reply and help!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:21 PM