Ranking algorithm and covered conferences RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have three general questions regarding the conference ranking in the field of privacy & security:

As far as I understand you compute the rank of a specific conference by a slightly adapted h-index. For single authors, the h-index might be considered a proper value. However, the missing factor of number of publications seems to make the h-index (or field ranking) hard to apply to conferences. Is it correct that you currently only consider the number of papers that have been cited over a specific value which results in the field ranking?

The other more general question is how you handle workshops held at the conferences? Are those covered by the same ranking?

Last but not least, the conferences you consider are considered differently, i.e., many conferences are only counted until 2011, others until 2013, other conference (which take place yearly) only appear for one specific year? How is this currently handled?

I thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Stephan

Sunday, October 27, 2013 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hello Stephan,

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Academic Search! Conferences are ranked based on their publications and the citations to publications ratio. Conference workshops are not ranked differently, and are covered by the same ranking for the overall conference. The content in Microsoft Academic Search is based on the volume of publications thus far indexed from journals and conferences, as more content gets indexed, accuracy and completeness will continue to improve. Users can add publications by uploading a BibTeX file, adding a PDF URL, or by completing a form. You can learn more about adding publications in our help documentation.

Please let us know if we can assist further or answer any other questions.

Best regards,

Thomas, Academic Search Editor

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Stephan,

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Academic Search! Conferences are ranked based on their publications and the citations to publications ratio. Conference workshops are not ranked differently, and are covered by the same ranking for the overall conference. The content in Microsoft Academic Search is based on the volume of publications thus far indexed from journals and conferences, as more content gets indexed, accuracy and completeness will continue to improve. Users can add publications by uploading a BibTeX file, adding a PDF URL, or by completing a form. You can learn more about adding publications in our help documentation.

Please let us know if we can assist further or answer any other questions.

Best regards,

Thomas, Academic Search Editor

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Dear Thomas,

thank you very much for the clarification. One thing which is still open, we posted there (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b829d70b-f8d6-47b3-8000-c658a9ad326d/add-a-conference?forum=mas). Maybe you could also help us on this issue. So, how could we add entire conferences rather than single publications?

Another important question to me: From the description here (http://academic.research.microsoft.com/About/Help.htm) I understand that conferences are ranked according to the field rating which essentially corresponds to the h-index. Hence, this does not integrate the number of publications on the special conference but merely how many publications have been cited over a certain number of times.  Did I understand this properly? If not, could you clarify how this ranking is calculated? Does this ranking include or exclude self-citations?

Thank you very much in advance and best regards,

Stephan

Friday, December 20, 2013 11:10 AM