Live Mesh taskbar icon missing on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I just set up a new Windows 7 machine and want to set up Live Mesh so I can use Remote Desktop to my home PC.  I can get Remote Desktop working through a mesh.com browser window, but unlike my home machine (running Windows Server 2008), on my Windows 7 machine there is no taskbar icon for Live Mesh, meaning I can't launch a Mesh remote desktop session without visiting the mesh.com website.  Also, there's no Live Mesh shortcut in my Start Menu.

Any idea how to get the taskbar icon, start menu link, etc. on Win7?  is there an installer somewhere I need to download and run?

Justin Grant
    Friday, December 11, 2009 8:45 PM

Answers

• I've installed Live Mesh on multiple Windows 7 machines, 32 and 64 bit and the Live Mesh icon is available.
    Have you checked the properties for the Notification area in Win7 to see that you are not hiding the Live Mesh icon? You can set it to always show.
    There should also be a Start menu group for Live Mesh.
    Did you actually install Live Mesh on this machine from http://www.mesh.com and select add device? The installer is not labeled for Windows 7, but the 32 bit and 64 bit versions will install fine - you must, however, be logged in as an administrator on the machine.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:14 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:42 PM

All replies

• I've installed Live Mesh on multiple Windows 7 machines, 32 and 64 bit and the Live Mesh icon is available.
    Have you checked the properties for the Notification area in Win7 to see that you are not hiding the Live Mesh icon? You can set it to always show.
    There should also be a Start menu group for Live Mesh.
    Did you actually install Live Mesh on this machine from http://www.mesh.com and select add device? The installer is not labeled for Windows 7, but the 32 bit and 64 bit versions will install fine - you must, however, be logged in as an administrator on the machine.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:14 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:42 PM
  • There is also a known bug with the Win7 notification area that only shows when you click, "show more notifications".  You won't be able to interact with the systray notifier when it's located in this area.  You have to go into the properties and select, always show icon.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Thanks, Ken. I never ran into this as I always enable the display of the notification icons - a hold-out to the XP days, I guess. :-)
    -steve
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:18 PM