Can't use One Care to back up data. Even after assigning the drive letter one care demands. Bach up doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I started with a 500GB Simpletech hard drive, One Care could not recognize this device. Tossed $80 out of window and bought a much better/bigger 1T Iomega HD. Tried to back up files/anything that OneCare can back up-I'm still not sure if it's capable of backing up program's like Norton's Ghost but let me get back to basics. Installed Iomega External HD LDHP-UP and tried to run back up. Live care still couldn't start since it was looking for back up to be on (N:)??-not the location of the hard drive. I went into device manager and re-assigned the drive letters so HD was shown as (N:). Perfect, I thought. It's cost me $200  in hard drives and 4 houts of my time but now I should be able to successfully back up my fils, perhaps purchase OneCare-since it was on sale-and go forward.

I closed device manager, ran :Back-Up" in Live............., and after booting itself got the message that Live One.....can't do any back-up operations since there id no hard drive at (N:). WTF< I wondered and checked My Computer. It showed an Iomega hard drive at (N:)-exactly where Live One Care... requied it...!!!

I re-booted and tried again, still no luck. Then I spent over an hour trying to figure a way to email this problem to tech support at Line OC, could not find any helpful email address until this morning. MS had "tricks" like links that would say Contact Us"-then have a forum with no direct link to any kind of support. I was truly considering-and still am using one care for the PCs in my home office & perhaps all pCs in home. This inabuilirty to accomplish such a simple task, coupled with the difficulty in getting any true tech support (totally characteristic of MS and if they lose the battle of titans between Silicon Valley and Washington-it will be because MS has such a poor rep for tech support) have been discouraging even at the better sale prices OneCare has been offered at. I'm assuming that, since I was atempting to try One Care during ale price period but weas unable due to tech difficulties, I would still be able to get sale price rates.

Grateful for any help on XP Pro machine
    Bill
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:01 PM

Answers

• Are these devices being configured as NAS drives, not directly connected to the PC, but connected to the network? if so, and they can be plugged in via USB to you PC, I recommend doing that instead.

If you peruse the forum, you'll find a number of threads with issues in using a NAS device as the backup destination. It works most of the time, as long as permissions are set correctly, but often that doesn't help.

If I'm off the mark and your drive(s) are/were connected directly, then contacting support is the way to go.
    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If, however, either of your drives came with backup software included, configure and use that and disable the OneCare backup. OneCare is an end of life product - at the end of your subscription, you'll need to seek an alternative backup solution anyway.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:59 PM