WHS 2011 New Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm installating WHS 2011 on hardware that previously ran WHS 1.0.  All data has been migrated to another storage medium so I can perform a clean install.

I first installed WHS on a 400GB drive with other drive trays disengaged.  I then shut down, engaged 4 drive trays with 1TB drives. WHS 1.0 had been installed on one of those 1TB drives, so I configured the BIOS to boot from the new "0" drive (400GB).  Upon viewing the attached drives, I see that one 1TB drive has a 20GB partiion on it from the old WHS 1.0 installation.  I am trying to wipe that drive clean and remove the old partitions, but the disk management utility in WHS won't seemly touch that old partition.

Any suggestions what I am missing?  Probably something obvious.  Thanks!

John

Monday, June 27, 2011 1:32 PM

Answers

• Nothing obvious I can think of. So, you can't delete the 20GB partition with WHS2011? Under these circumstances I would disconnect all drives other than the problem one and boot from one of the Linux distribution disks and do it from there - faiing that try a Windows installation disk in the same way.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by JohnWRS Monday, June 27, 2011 6:25 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Disk Management won't touch that partition because it's recognized as a system or boot partition. You should be able to get rid of everything on that disk using the diskpart command line tool, however. I will note that doing so is unsupported, as is everything done through the server desktop rather than the dashboard. And you do this at your own risk; the diskpart command has no safety net or undo, so if you clean the wrong disk you're screwed.

To do so:

• Start an elevated command prompt.
    • Type diskpart and press Enter.
    • Type list disk and press Enter.
    • Type sel disk # (replacing # with the appropriate disk number) and press Enter.
    • Type list part and press Enter. You should see two partitions: one 20 GB, one (disk - 20) GB.
    • Type clean and press Enter.

You can learn more about the diskpart utility here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, June 27, 2011 4:06 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:06 PM

All replies

• Nothing obvious I can think of. So, you can't delete the 20GB partition with WHS2011? Under these circumstances I would disconnect all drives other than the problem one and boot from one of the Linux distribution disks and do it from there - faiing that try a Windows installation disk in the same way.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Disk Management won't touch that partition because it's recognized as a system or boot partition. You should be able to get rid of everything on that disk using the diskpart command line tool, however. I will note that doing so is unsupported, as is everything done through the server desktop rather than the dashboard. And you do this at your own risk; the diskpart command has no safety net or undo, so if you clean the wrong disk you're screwed.

To do so:

• Start an elevated command prompt.
    • Type diskpart and press Enter.
    • Type list disk and press Enter.
    • Type sel disk # (replacing # with the appropriate disk number) and press Enter.
    • Type list part and press Enter. You should see two partitions: one 20 GB, one (disk - 20) GB.
    • Type clean and press Enter.

You can learn more about the diskpart utility here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, June 27, 2011 4:06 PM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Very simple solution.  Thanks!
    Monday, June 27, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Makes perfect sense.  Since I have no data at risk and the worst case would be a fresh reinstall of WHS, there's not need for a safety net in my case.  Thanks!  John
    Monday, June 27, 2011 6:28 PM