My OneCare Firewall will not allow the program (OpenOffice 2.4.1). RRS feed

• Question

• I have Open Office 2.4.1 on my desktop, with the firewall icon plastered over it. I can't get the firewall to allow the program  even thou'  it is on the Firewall Settings  Allow list. How do I fix this, please?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:22 PM

Answers

• Ah, the icon you see is a Vista UAC (User Account Control) icon. Right click the installer and select Run ad Administrator in order to execute it with elevated privileges. This isn't a OneCare firewall issue. Thanks for clarifying.

Once you have done that, Open Office should work. Please let us know the outcome.

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:34 PM

All replies

• "with the firewall icon plastered over it" - what does that mean?

Will Open Office work if you turn off the OneCare firewall? Is it the installer that isn't working or the program itself after installation?

-steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Okay Steve, Sorry - that wasn't too clear. The OOo_2.4.1 icon, on desktop, has the  Firewall icon implanted in it's left lower corner.  I can  open it after OneCare tells me it has blocked this  program & asks if I trust it. 

The OneCare Firewall  is supposed to be  controlled by me - I am supposed to be able to add it to the Trusted List so it will not block again -  but that doesn't seem to work.  I don't know if turning off the firewall is a good thing to do as it is what stands between the bad buggers and my set. If I work for a few hrs. on a spreadsheet or whatever without the firewall, couldn't that invite  invaders?

Oops, I just looked at the properties and  it Is the installer. Is that supposed to  be blocked? Thanks again, Steve

me again

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Ah, the icon you see is a Vista UAC (User Account Control) icon. Right click the installer and select Run ad Administrator in order to execute it with elevated privileges. This isn't a OneCare firewall issue. Thanks for clarifying.

Once you have done that, Open Office should work. Please let us know the outcome.

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Okay, I just ran it as admin. The Firewall shield still is attached to  that icon. None of my other desktop  icons have a firewall shield attached,  but maybe installers need to have one. Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

-me again

Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:05 AM
  • You're welcome. This discussion should shed some light on why you'll see the shield attached to the icon of some installers - http://www.vistax64.com/vista-security/46483-uac-shield-icons-setup-programs.html

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:36 PM
  • Steve, you are the Best

!

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:30 PM