Stolen Laptop RRS feed

• Question

•  

Laptop stolen, how do I cancel the onecare that was on it so I can install it to the one that I have ordered.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 10:03 PM

Answers

• When the new laptop arrives, install OneCare, activate using the same LiveID used originally (confirm the subscription at http://billing.microsoft.com) and then make that new PC a hub. If you already have it installed and activated on a PC in your possession, besides the stolen laptop, make that a PC a hub by opening OneCare, and clicking on Your OneCare Circle and "make this PC a hub."

Once the PC is a hub, all PCs on the subscription will show, along with the last communication time/date. Click on details next to the stolen laptop entry and then click on the link to remove the PC from the subscription and Circle.

Note that this is optional. I would assume that the thief would format the PC and therefore OneCare is no longer active on it. Even if they chose to continue using the laptop with OneCare, it won't matter to your subscription at this time.

Sorry about the theft, by the way - what a pain!

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:18 AM

All replies

• When the new laptop arrives, install OneCare, activate using the same LiveID used originally (confirm the subscription at http://billing.microsoft.com) and then make that new PC a hub. If you already have it installed and activated on a PC in your possession, besides the stolen laptop, make that a PC a hub by opening OneCare, and clicking on Your OneCare Circle and "make this PC a hub."

Once the PC is a hub, all PCs on the subscription will show, along with the last communication time/date. Click on details next to the stolen laptop entry and then click on the link to remove the PC from the subscription and Circle.

Note that this is optional. I would assume that the thief would format the PC and therefore OneCare is no longer active on it. Even if they chose to continue using the laptop with OneCare, it won't matter to your subscription at this time.

Sorry about the theft, by the way - what a pain!

-steve

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Well that good to know now, are you guys able to drop it off the only laptop I had signed up ? so who ever got it won't be protected ?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:30 PM
  • If the old laptop is connected to the Internet with OneCare running, it communicates to the OneCare servers. When you activate OneCare on the new PC, make it a hub and remove the other laptop from your subscription it will cause the subscription to be removed from that PC when it next communicates with the server. So, yes, they would be unprotected until the installed something else.

Unfortunately, the information that gets sent to the server is useless for tracking purposes, so it wouldn't be able to help you locate the thief or current user. :-(

-steve

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:28 AM