Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there I have a genuine copy of Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 which i bought from the shop. When i tried to install it onto my computer it would not read the DVD therefore i had to send off for the CD version which cost £7.72 from Microsoft. The Cd's arrived and there were 6. I followed the installation instructions with all 6 Cd's and was then asked to validate my version of windows with the product key. When I entered my product key i received the error meesage that the product key wasnt valid and was given 3 options which included to access with reduced functionality. I really do not know why it is saying that my producy key isnt valid as its the one on the box which I used to buy the CD version and there were no problems then. Can anyone help? Is this a commn problem. I feel as though i have wasted my money buying this thing at all.

Many thanks

Ruth
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:27 AM

Answers

• Hello Rush,

First thing is to confirm that tiy have read the Product Key correctly. With the font they use, a 'W' can sometimes look like two 'V's, a 'Q' may look like a 'O', '0' or even a 'g' 

Next confirm that the Window on the CDs is the same Version, Edition, Language and Install Method (i.e Retail/Full vs Retail/Upgrade vs OEM) as the one that came on the DVD. 
    Meaning if your original copy of Windows (the one on the DVD) is: Version=Vista, Edition=Home Premium, Language=(I assume)English and Install Method=(I assume)Retail/Full Install

Then the Windows on the CDs also need to be (exactly): Version=Vista, Edition=Home Premium, Language=English and Install Method=Retail/Full Install

If anything is different, the Product key will not work.

If the Windows that came on the CDs is exactly the same as the one on the DVD, then try a Keyless install of Vista.  You do this by installing Vista as normal, but do not enter a product key.  (a Keyless install allows the user to try out Vista for 30 day before needing to enter a Valid Product Key).

Once you are done with the Keyless Install, click the 'Start' button, right-click 'Computer' and select 'Properties'.  In the window that opens, click 'Change Produt Key' and follow the directions of the Change Product Key Wizard using the Product Key that came with the DVD.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:33 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Rush,

First thing is to confirm that tiy have read the Product Key correctly. With the font they use, a 'W' can sometimes look like two 'V's, a 'Q' may look like a 'O', '0' or even a 'g' 

Next confirm that the Window on the CDs is the same Version, Edition, Language and Install Method (i.e Retail/Full vs Retail/Upgrade vs OEM) as the one that came on the DVD. 
    Meaning if your original copy of Windows (the one on the DVD) is: Version=Vista, Edition=Home Premium, Language=(I assume)English and Install Method=(I assume)Retail/Full Install

Then the Windows on the CDs also need to be (exactly): Version=Vista, Edition=Home Premium, Language=English and Install Method=Retail/Full Install

If anything is different, the Product key will not work.

If the Windows that came on the CDs is exactly the same as the one on the DVD, then try a Keyless install of Vista.  You do this by installing Vista as normal, but do not enter a product key.  (a Keyless install allows the user to try out Vista for 30 day before needing to enter a Valid Product Key).

Once you are done with the Keyless Install, click the 'Start' button, right-click 'Computer' and select 'Properties'.  In the window that opens, click 'Change Produt Key' and follow the directions of the Change Product Key Wizard using the Product Key that came with the DVD.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:33 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:15 PM
  • H Darin,

Thank you for your response. I was wondering how i check that the CDs are the same version as the original DVD? they are both Windows Vista Home Premium and English versions but i do not know how to check that they are 'Install Method=Retail/Full Install'.

Assuming that they are the same versions i followed your instructions on the keyless install and i now have Vista for 30 days. When i tried to 'Change the Product Key' i was asked to enter my original product key and again i received the error that my product key was invalid.

Is there anything else i can try?

Many thanks

Ruth

Sunday, November 8, 2009 3:55 PM