MS Money 2004 to MS Money Plus Sunset question RRS feed

• Question

• Helping a friend who used MS Money 2004 on her desktop with Windows XP.  Then she bought a laptop with Windows 7 and installed Money Plus Sunset, however started with the balance from the old version.  She now wants to get rid of the old desktop and would like all the data on on Money Sunset.  I understand that there is a way to import the old 2004 data into Sunset however I am wondering if it will over-write the new data.  Is there a way to set up another account and keep the old and new separate but still accessible?  Both sets of data are backed up on flash drives.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 2:50 PM

All replies

• As I understand it, your friend wants to merge the data on the old machine into the Money file on the new machine. That would be done with QIF export and import.

The problem is that there is some overlap of data.  Simple QIF export+import would result in duplicate transactions. The transactions in the QIF file are in order by date generally. So the thing to do is to edit each QIF file with a text editor (such as Notepad and not a word processor such as Word) to delete records that are newer than when the Money Plus Sunset data starts.

Keep extra copies of QIF, *.mny  *.mbf files in case you want to revert back to some previous state. Keep track of what each file represents.

After you trim the QIF files, follow the steps in
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830
    except when you import, you will import into a copy of the existing Sunset file.
    Also in the first step 4, I would suggest this: start the name of
    the QIF file for the investment accounts with an underscore (_),
    and start the name of QIF files for the cash accounts associated
    with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
    _BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked.

Of course you will use a different filename for the new file, and
    you will have both versions to choose from when done.  I would also
    set up the backups to make sure they are using different names.

After import, an adjusted OpeningBalance (in account settings of each account) could be made to update the running balance, or just make a single compensating transaction in each account that needs adjustment to make the correction.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:44 PM
  •  Is there a way to set up another account and keep the old and new separate but still accessible?  Both sets of data are backed up on flash drives.  Any suggestions?

Cal's suggestion is the correct way of doing things, but you asked if there were a simpler way, i.e. have two file Money files old.mny and current.mny.  The answer is yes.  Simply rename the old (2004) money file to something like old.mny or pre2013.mny and copy it to the same sub folder in My Documents that has the current money file.   Then double click on that file and it should convert it to Money Plus format as well as create a backup of the original file with an *.m12 extension.  You will then have a situation like you have today, only on one computer, not two.  But if you're up to it, a merged file as Cal suggested will turn out to be much more useful.
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:02 PM