Copying data between two CRM 4.0 Servers RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need to copy the data from one CRM 4.0 Server to another CRM 4.o Server is it possible using  the data Migration manager. If so how? I’d imagine I’d have to export a data map as XML and then the data?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• One option that I think works (though I haven't tested it on the Professional Edition) would be to use SQL backup/restore to move the database, then import the database as a new organization via Deployment Manager. Although Professional Edition does not support multi-tenancy, I believe you can do the above, and disable the original organization.

Another approach would be to uninstall CRM from the destination server, copy the database, reinstall and take the connect to existing database option. This will allow you to apply a separate license.

There are no differences in table structure between the editions of CRM

Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:22 AM

All replies

• David,

I’m going to assume by copying the data you mean that you’re only interested in the Organization_name_MSCRM databases.  If that is the case then why not do a Sql Server back up and restore to accomplish this?  The following link provides detail on doing this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187048.aspx

Additional information on backing up the system can be found in the Microsoft_Dynamics_CRM_IG_Operating.doc document available thru the following download.
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Implementation Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1CEB5E01-DE9F-48C0-8CE2-51633EBF4714&displaylang=en

Hope this helps,

Jason
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Thats a good idea but the two servers have different licenses and I see a table has info on the license, would it be possible to copy all the other tables over?

In addition I think they are different versions (but the same edition - Professional) would there be subtle differences in table design?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:36 PM
  • One option that I think works (though I haven't tested it on the Professional Edition) would be to use SQL backup/restore to move the database, then import the database as a new organization via Deployment Manager. Although Professional Edition does not support multi-tenancy, I believe you can do the above, and disable the original organization.

Another approach would be to uninstall CRM from the destination server, copy the database, reinstall and take the connect to existing database option. This will allow you to apply a separate license.

There are no differences in table structure between the editions of CRM

Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:22 AM
  • David,

I’d found the kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947272/en-us but ended up with the new system connected to the database on the old server. This first bash seems to have broken the original CRM system but the users have changed their minds about keeping it anyway, phew!

Then I read your post.

I stopped IIS, backed up the database and restored it to the new server (detaching the database created on the new server and moved the files).

The new install on the new server was empty so when I initiated the process it said the existing organisation will be deleted are you sure you want to continue? I selected yes.

I had named the new – empty organisation the same as the one on the old server, which CRM did not like. I suppose it only deletes the organisation on the target server once passed all the settings and checks when the import process actually begins, I simply changed the name of the new organisation to be created.

Reporting services threw a fit because IIS was down, so I started it and re ran the ‘checks page’ it passed. The progress bar seemed to hang for ages on the migrating users but eventually got there,

The process was very straightforward. Once I knew where the ‘button’ was. Thanks for your help.

Friday, March 28, 2008 10:12 AM