Server Backup & Restore RRS feed

• Question

• As I'm using the server backup feature, I've come across a couple of items I can't figure out. 

I really like the improvement in Vail over V1 as you don't have to ensure that a shared folder size doesn't exceed the total capacity of the backup drive and backup the entire system.

However, as I'm adding my backup drives (7 in total), I'm finding that I can only add 5 maximum.  It seems that Vail makes you label the backup drive, which makes total sense, however, it only lists 4 drives where you can add the name.  When I added the 5th backup, it showed 3 drives with a label and one for the new backup drive to enter in a label.

However when I try to add #6 or #6 & #7 to the backup configuration, you can't see the drives and you can't add labels, nor can you do anything but cancel.

The 2nd issue is that I have received an error that states that the backup drives are full, however, they were just added and nothing has been backed up to them.

Thanks for any assistance you can lend!  :-)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:46 AM

Answers

• Have you submitted any bugs for this on Connect?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Okay - I got this to work.  Evidently you have to load 2 backup drives at a time (each time you do this you have to keep the previous drive boxes checked to add them).  I know have all 7 backup drives loaded and recognized by Vail as working Backup drives.

Now, when I try to backup my server, I get an error code: 2155348001.  I "Bing'd" this and it looks like this is a known issue in Server 2008 which was to have been fixed in R2.

I found a hotfix for this, but the download is only for Vista.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Friday, September 24, 2010 10:59 PM

All replies

• Have you submitted any bugs for this on Connect?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Not yet - I wanted to be sure that it was a bug and there wasn't a limit to the number of drives etc. in this beta that I may have overlooked.

Submitting now...thanks for the response!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:11 PM
  • Okay - I got this to work.  Evidently you have to load 2 backup drives at a time (each time you do this you have to keep the previous drive boxes checked to add them).  I know have all 7 backup drives loaded and recognized by Vail as working Backup drives.

Now, when I try to backup my server, I get an error code: 2155348001.  I "Bing'd" this and it looks like this is a known issue in Server 2008 which was to have been fixed in R2.

I found a hotfix for this, but the download is only for Vista.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Friday, September 24, 2010 10:59 PM