Primary hard drive questions. RRS feed

• Question

• I want to put together a system for whs. I am somewhat confused as to how the hard drive setup works. The specific question I have is what happens when the primary hard drive fails (loaded with whs)? would it make sense to have two small drives in raid 1 for the primary, and then a few 500gb hard drives for the storage? I am assuming that raid 1 does not make sense for any other hard drives since whs already dublicates the files on more than one drive?

Thanks for the help

Dan

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:08 PM

Answers

• Dan

Assuming you have more than one hard drive in your WHS, if your primary "OS" drive fails, just pop a new one in along with the WHS DVD and choose Server Reinstallation. All you will then have to do is recreate your users, add any add-ins again, and repermission the folders, all the data will be safe.

Andrew

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:11 PM
  • The system drive contains two partitions. The 20 GB C: partition is where the operating system resides. The remainder of the space is used for the D: partition, which is where the storage pool starts. A small system drive means a small "root" for the storage pool, which limits your server in a number of ways. So the recommendation is that you use your largest drive as your system drive when you initially install.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:38 AM

All replies

• Dan

Assuming you have more than one hard drive in your WHS, if your primary "OS" drive fails, just pop a new one in along with the WHS DVD and choose Server Reinstallation. All you will then have to do is recreate your users, add any add-ins again, and repermission the folders, all the data will be safe.

Andrew

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:11 PM
  • Ok, got it. So raid does not really make sense. Should you use a small fast drive for the primary and a few large ones for the storage, or does it not really matter? I would like to have about 1tb of space to start, and was thinking about using a wd raptor 74 gb as a primary, and then two seagate 7200.11 500gb for storage. Does this make sense, or would I be better off with 2 500gb drives?

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:23 PM
  • The system drive contains two partitions. The 20 GB C: partition is where the operating system resides. The remainder of the space is used for the D: partition, which is where the storage pool starts. A small system drive means a small "root" for the storage pool, which limits your server in a number of ways. So the recommendation is that you use your largest drive as your system drive when you initially install.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:38 AM