Can WHS back up and restore a Dynamic Disk? RRS feed

• Question

• Can Windows Home Server back up and restore a PC using a Dynamic Disk?

I'm setting up a new Windows Server 2008 x64 box and I'm intending to use a pair of mirrored Dynamic Disks on that Server. I realize that all this is way beyond what's currently supported by Microsoft, but I'm very curious if WHS could theoretically be used to backup/restore.

If it will do that backup, then I'm not even sure how you'd do the restore. I'm guessing you'd restore to a single drive, boot it, and then re-add the second drive to rebuild the mirror.

Any ideas?

And, no, even if it works, WHS wouldn't be my primary backup system for the Server.

Thanks,
    Myron Johnson
    Tempe, AZ, USA

Edit:
    OK, I'm finishing up a WHS Backup/Restore of my Server 2008 with Simple/Basic partitions. During this process, I was reminded that Disk Management will pop up if an uninitialized disk is found. It's the full version of Disk Management, and gives the opportunity to create Dynamic Disks. So if I can just BACK UP the Dynamic Disks, it appears likely I can RESTORE them, too. It even seems likely you could restore Dynamic Spanned or RAID 5 arrays.

Edit2:
    I restored my Simple/Basic partitions and then converted the disk to Dynamic. Then I added a second hard drive and converted the second drive to Dynamic. Now I've mirrored my C: volume onto the new drive. The E: and F: volumes aren't yet mirrored.

When I go into Windows Home Server to "Configure the Backup", it shows three "unknown, not connected" (C:, E:, F:), plus three available ones that are checked for backup. However, the C: volume is listed with twice it's actual capacity. I assume it counts the mirrored volume twice. I wonder if the "unknown, not connected" volumes are the "old" Simple/Basic partitions that were converted into Dynamic Volumes?

Monday, December 29, 2008 1:03 AM

All replies

• I'm not 100% sure, but as long as it appears as an NTFS partition, WHS should be able to back it up. Restoring the partition would be the problem, I'm thinking restoring one drive should work.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 2:02 AM