Ask about Windows 7 Prof Activation - Please help RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I bought Windows 7 Prof - retail version (not OEM) few months ago for my desktop.
    and it never activate until now.

I want to ask few things:

1. If I activate my windows, then I move to new house (or maybe move to another country), will it still pass the genuine validation? * remember it's desktop not laptop...
    2. If I activate my windows, then I reformat and reinstall my windows back again and reactivate again (several times e.g: more than 10 times), will it still pass the genuine validation?
    3. If I activate my windows, then I change my hardware (e.g. Motherboard, Processor, or what ever it's you name it) is my windows copy will still valid?

Please advice me.

Thanks

Andre

Saturday, February 4, 2012 2:49 AM

Answers

• Yes to all three. 

A user is entitled to reactivate Windows an unlimited number of times for whatever reason.  As long as the software is not installed on more than one computer at any one time you will be fine.  A user is entitled to maintain his system and that includes complete reinstallations.

The motherboard restriction only applies to OEM copies, not retail ones.  Other hardware changes don't matter.  You can transfer it to a completely different computer as long as the software is removed from the old one.

In some of the scenarios you describe you may be required to reactivate by phone, such as following a high number of reactivations, but that is not a problem.  It is just Microsoft making sure you are only using the software on one computer.  As long as that is true they will reactivate Windows for you.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 4:12 AM
    Answerer