Activation is an issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so I have purchased a legitimate copy of Windows XP Home Edition SP2 from Newegg, to install on my home-built computer system. I had been using it for a while, and had to reinstall multiple times. Well, now I think it's my 5th or 6th time reinstalling it, and now it is asking me to either enter in a different licence key or call Microsoft, because it says I have it installed to many times when I attempt to activate it over the internet. I have done this for a few times, however now, I just recently just reinstalled and it's requiring me to call again. I don't mind doing this, however, I am very busy, and I cannot waste time waiting on the phone to activate my copy of Windows. I have only installed it on 1 computer system, in which only the graphics card and the hard drive have been upgraded (however, the old hard drive is still in there).

Could somebody tell me what is going on? Do I have to call Microsoft? Is there a better way? I don't mind calling Microsoft one last time, if they could tell me if (and how) I could ask the Microsoft Activation operator to stop requiring reactivation when reinstalling. I have read online that you can backup a file that will allow you to reinstall and not have to activate, as long as you don't change hardware.

Any help will be highly appriciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan (Codemagica)
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:24 AM

Answers

• Hello Codemagica,

Do you have an OEM version of XP Home?  Also have you made any upgrades during this time frame?

Thank you,

Stephen Holm , MS

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:15 PM

All replies

• The procedure to "activate by phone" would take less time than the time you spent composing your post.  Please follow these instructions.

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone
    To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or,
    click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
      Or,
    clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:47 AM
  • But that's not my point. I would not want to be forced to activate by phone, and only have to activate by the Internet. I just want some kind explaination as to why it doesn't allow me to do it. I know the Internet is working, because if I open Internet Explorer and I browse to a website, it works fine. And no the "activate by phone" method would take more time then it took me to compose the first message (I'm a fast typist, 54-100wpm acurately)

Again, any help would be appriciated (and possibly not a response saying to call Microsoft for activation. That is what I'm trying to avoid).
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:06 AM
  • Hello Codemagica,

Do you have an OEM version of XP Home?  Also have you made any upgrades during this time frame?

Thank you,

Stephen Holm , MS

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:15 PM