Want to Add A Computer to a Subscription RRS feed

• Question

• OK.. I have used OC since it first started, but when it comes to multi-PC management, I am a novice, so these may be silly questions, but here they go.

1. I have a valid subscription, but currently have OC on only one machine (designated as the hub), how do I add a second or third machine on the subscription? Do I use my Windows Live ID or the other person's?

2. I have a Vista 32-bit OS. Can a machine with XP 32-bit share the circle?

3. Are there any potential isssues with running the second OC through a router? (e.g., XP/Vista firewall conflicts or others).

4. Do I have to give the second machine the same computer name as the one OC is installed on now?

First of several posts in other threads today. Thanks

Sunday, March 9, 2008 3:16 PM

Answers

• Hi, See!

1. All PCs activated with the same LiveID will be on the same subscription and therefore be part of the Circle. Any PC designated as a hub (you can make all of them hubs) will reflect the status of the other PCs on the subscription.

2. Same answer as number 1 - if the OS supports OneCare, the PC becomes part of the Circle when activated.

3. No.

4. No.

Ask away. :-) (or search)

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hi, See!

1. All PCs activated with the same LiveID will be on the same subscription and therefore be part of the Circle. Any PC designated as a hub (you can make all of them hubs) will reflect the status of the other PCs on the subscription.

2. Same answer as number 1 - if the OS supports OneCare, the PC becomes part of the Circle when activated.

3. No.

4. No.

Ask away. :-) (or search)

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 5:45 PM
  • I loaded OC on a second PC at home, but opening OC displays that protection for that computer will expire.  How do you link the 2nd computer?

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:10 PM
  •  THECORN wrote:

I loaded OC on a second PC at home, but opening OC displays that protection for that computer will expire.  How do you link the 2nd computer?

Did you activate/subscribe on the second computer using the same LiveID that was used to subscribe on the first one? Once you activate, it automatically becomes part of the Circle and will be listed on any PC made a Hub in the Circle.

-steve

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:37 AM
  • Hello,

I have OC on 3 PC's in my home.  Two show up in the circle and one (my wifes) does not.  In looking at her PC, it seems its OC was installed with my wife's Live ID and not mine like on the other two.  Her OC and network and all work fine,  just would like to have her in the circle. 

Crabber1

Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:56 PM
  • In order to be part of the Circle, you will need to reinstall OneCare on her PC and activate it with your subscription LiveID. A Circle is defined as all PCs on the same subscription - meaning activated with the same LiveID.

I assume that you only have a single subscription or you are still in trial mode on at least her machine.

-steve

Friday, March 14, 2008 1:36 AM
  • Me again! One more question about the OC circle (adding to a subscription). Do the computers have to physically networked together in the same location? The two other computers are not at the location of the one I would designate as the hub. Or is the circle solely based on the subscription? I do not plan to printer share, as one is wireless and I couldn't share that anyway. If I can't set up the circle, can I still install OC locally on the other machines?

Saturday, March 15, 2008 5:50 AM
  • All computers activated with the same subscription will be a part of the Circle. However, this means that the status of a remote PC can take an hour or more to update on the Hub PC as it needs to go up to the server and the server needs to relay that back to the Hub.

You can't do the Printer Sharing remotely, or use Centralized backup for any remote PC, but your PCs do not need to be located on the same LAN to be part of the Circle.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:26 AM