locked
Any OS on a HD before system restore? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,
     
    Yesterday, I had the pleasure of having to perform a full restore on my daughter's laptop, after a hard drive failure. Since the HD had no OS, I had to do an install of Vista, before WHS could recognize that there was a HD.

    However, I wonder: I have a 3-year-old Compaq, which came with no restore disk (thanks HP!) and, if a similar circumstance were to occur, would I be able to put virtually any OS, such as Linux or XP Home, in order for WHS to recognize a new HD, so that I could perform a full system restore on the Compaq?

    I just assumed that WHS needed to "see" the HD, because before I put Vista on my daughter's computer, WHS didn't recognize that there was a HD there.

    By the way, I am so impressed that the full system restore went as smoothly as it did, after that slight bump for me. Really a great insurance policy for me!

    Thanks.

    pauly
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 12:03 PM

Answers

  • Hello Pauly,
    could it be that the disk was shown, but WHS recovery disk rejected to restore directly to that disk due to the lack of an existing partition/volume? (Which you created together with the Vista installation.)
    To overcome this situation, you need to read and understand the messages shown. To create a partition, you find the button Run Disk Manager (Advanced), which allows you to create the partition for restoring before the restore can be applied. 
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:52 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • pauly tentoes said:

    Hi,
     
    Yesterday, I had the pleasure of having to perform a full restore on my daughter's laptop, after a hard drive failure. Since the HD had no OS, I had to do an install of Vista, before WHS could recognize that there was a HD.

    However, I wonder: I have a 3-year-old Compaq, which came with no restore disk (thanks HP!) and, if a similar circumstance were to occur, would I be able to put virtually any OS, such as Linux or XP Home, in order for WHS to recognize a new HD, so that I could perform a full system restore on the Compaq?

    You shouldn't have to install any OS in order for the WHS Restore CD to work.  Did you use the new Power Pack 1 restore CD (downloadable from here)?  What error message did you get when you booted from the restore CD?  Also, just so you know, you can also perform a complete restore by adding a blank drive to a working computer, then tell WHS to restore to that blank drive.

    pauly tentoes said:

    I just assumed that WHS needed to "see" the HD, because before I put Vista on my daughter's computer, WHS didn't recognize that there was a HD there.

    That's not normal.

    pauly tentoes said:

    By the way, I am so impressed that the full system restore went as smoothly as it did, after that slight bump for me. Really a great insurance policy for me!

    Thanks.

    pauly



    Saturday, October 4, 2008 12:46 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello Pauly,
    could it be that the disk was shown, but WHS recovery disk rejected to restore directly to that disk due to the lack of an existing partition/volume? (Which you created together with the Vista installation.)
    To overcome this situation, you need to read and understand the messages shown. To create a partition, you find the button Run Disk Manager (Advanced), which allows you to create the partition for restoring before the restore can be applied. 
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:52 PM
    Moderator
  • >>You shouldn't have to install any OS in order for the WHS Restore CD to work.  Did you use the new Power Pack 1 restore CD (downloadable from here)? <<

    That's what I thought -- that was, in fact, part of the reassurance I'd gotten from WHS, because I don't have an XP Professional disk for my Compaq. Yes, I do have PP1 installed (updates are set to automatic, but as soon as it was released I downloaded it and installed it).

    What WHS "saw" was disk 0, but only after I'd formatted the disk with Vista. That's why I wonder if there needs to be a "there there," in order for WHS to recognize a target.

    Appreciate the additional info about installing to any drive, though; could come in handy. Thank you.

    pauly
    • Marked as answer by pauly tentoes Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:13 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by pauly tentoes Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:13 AM
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:09 AM
  • Very possible, Olaf! I saw the Advanced options, but didn't understand that I could create the partition for the drive. Not that I want another drive to fail, but I'll read about this scenario, in case it should happen in the future.

    Thank you, and best wishes to you,

    pauly
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:13 AM
  • Hello Pauly,
    as mentioned - you must create a volume manually on the blank disk before being able to restore. This can be done by clicking on the button Run Disk Manager (Advanced) within the recovery environment and going through the process here (without the need to install an OS before).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:15 AM
    Moderator