Somewhat OT - Media to reinstall XP. RRS feed

• Question

• First off, let me appoligize if this is too far off topic.

My wife and I have an IBM Thinkpad (pre-Lenovo) which came with Windows XP preinstalled and included as part of the purchase.  Legally obtained Windows XP.  Over time a bad spot has developed on the hard drive (verified with HDD manufacturer's diagnostic).  I would like to replace the hard drive with a new one.  The problem is that IBM did not ship any Windows XP media with the laptop, the reinstall "media" is in a special partition on the hard drive.  In short, when I replace the hard drive I loose the ability to reinstall Windows XP.

Now sure, I can go out and buy another copy of Windows XP, but in my mind we already bought it once for this laptop in the form of an OEM copy of Windows XP.  Please note that I am wanting to reinstall on the SAME LAPTOP, not a different PC.

So here are my questions:

1.  Is it legal to install Windows XP using an OEM CD from another PC (say a Dell) using the Product Key from the sticker on the laptop that I am doing the reinstall on?  Again, please note that Windows XP was purchased with this laptop and I am wanting to simply reinstall it on the same machine with a new hard drive.

2.  If the answer to option #1 is no, is it possible to purchase the Windows XP media from Microsoft to do the reinstall from without buying another license?  If this is the case then I would use the Product Key from the sticker on the PC as in option #1 above.  Again, I bought this license once and I shouldn't have to buy it a second time.

3.  If both of these possibilities are no, what does someone do short of buying Windows XP a second time?

Thanks

Friday, July 7, 2006 4:01 PM

Answers

• The Product Key affixed to your IBM computer is only valid with IBM's recommended restore method.  Contact IBM support and request their restore CD designed for your specific IBM computer.

Welcome to IBM Product Support! 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/  

Friday, July 7, 2006 4:12 PM

All replies

• The Product Key affixed to your IBM computer is only valid with IBM's recommended restore method.  Contact IBM support and request their restore CD designed for your specific IBM computer.

Welcome to IBM Product Support! 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/  

Friday, July 7, 2006 4:12 PM
  • I've already talked to IBM.  They said the reinstall media is on the hard drive and no disk was available. 

In short, that means I need to buy Windows XP a second time.  I can understand limiting an OEM license to the machine it was installed on.  I have a problem though with rules which are written to make the OEM license good for only one installation.  I feel ripped-off here.

Friday, July 7, 2006 4:21 PM
  • If you reside in the U.S., call IBM Support at: 1-800-426-7378 and explain to them your need for an IBM recovery CD.

According to the IBM support web site, you can purchase a recovery CD.

Reference:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4M7HWZ&selectarea=SUPPORT&tempselected=5&brand=Notebooks%20and%20handhelds%7CThinkPad%20A20m%7C2628&family=Notebooks%20and%20handhelds%7CThinkPad%20A20m&machineType=Notebooks%20and%20handhelds%7CThinkPad%20A20m%7C2628#purchase
    Friday, July 7, 2006 4:34 PM
  • Thank you for the reference.  I'll make another go at it. 

LOL, IBM is so big, sometimes it is hard to get the right people on the phone.

Friday, July 7, 2006 5:10 PM
  • Not Very,

Let's assume for the moment that even though IBM's website says recovery CDs are available, as Carey posted, unfortunately CDs are not available for your computer.

In such case, I would do this:

1.  Purchase a new hard disk drive.  You wrote it is developing bad spots, so you were going to buy one anyway.

2.  Purchase a top quality Disk Imaging program such as Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc.

3.  Conduct this test:

a.  Use the imaging program to image only the IBM recovery partition on the original hard disk.  Image onto CD or DVD as available.  Choose the make bootable option.

b.  Remove original hard disk, replace with new one.

c.  Start the computer from the CD/DVD with the image of the recovery partition.  Image the new hard disk so that it now has the recovery partition on it and nothing else.  (Assumption--all needed data to recover is in this partition.)

d.  Remove the CD/DVD and restart the computer, then follow the User Guide or other instructions to execute a system recovery from the recovery partition.

e.  If this experiment works, you now have a fresh installation of the original XP on the new hard disk, which solves both problems at once.

f.  Assuming it worked, now put the original hard disk back into the IBM.

g.  Now, use a backup program or simply copy the files you want to save from the current installation on the original hard disk onto one or more CDs/DVDs.

h.  Once all files are offloaded, put the new hard disk in the IBM, start up into the newly installed and still genuine XP, then copy files from the CDs/DVDs back onto the hard disk.

i.  Freshly install any programs you have from their CDs or other installation source.

j.  You're done.

Friday, July 7, 2006 5:22 PM
  • Good backup plan, Dan.  Thanks.

Friday, July 7, 2006 5:55 PM