Server Backup Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• When Server backup happens it copies files that are checked within the setup that you do, fine I understand that.

What I am thinking about is in 2011 and previous it "holds" backups of client computers and your shared folders for "x" amount of days. As I see this now it is "default" Daily Backups for 5 days-Weekly Backups for 4 weeks-Monthly Backups for 6 months.

Back to Server backup, with that data I understand that and 2011 will work at those limits. The question that I have is how does this work with the external drive, Server backup. Does this overwrite older material or does it continue to add to the external Server backup.

Maybe I am looking at the answer and don't realize it. I am looking at it, will never overwrite, just continue to transfer data to the external drive for back up.

Or is this where the "bare metal recovery" function comes to light?

--
    Don
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:26 PM

All replies

• Don, If you go into your server manager and then click on storage, it will give you a little more information about how many backups are on the drive ect.  But that doesn't answer you question.  This is what I have found.  If you open disk cleanup, and select the drive your backups are on (you must have a drive letter assigned) and then click on the more options, there is an option to clean up past backups.  Here is the thing.  On my server, that option is not available.  I think if I remember right though WHS 2011 will do this automatically when disk space is needed on the disk dedicated to backup.  I know it was in the task scheduler in the last version of vail.  Maybe if disk space is running low, disk cleanup will allow you to do this as well.  That is my best guess, hope I helped a little anyways.
    D.W.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:13 PM
  • "I know it was in the task scheduler in the last version of vail."

The only thing that I see is listed below which deals with the client. That is why I asked the question.

Cleanup
    This task applies the backup retention policy to clean up the client computer backup database.

--
    Don
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:59 PM
  • The server backup role is going to work exactly like the backup service in server 2008 r2.  Maybe you should try looking into server 2008 r2 for some information.
    D.W.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Thanks, might just do that, then again "release notes" with details would be nice. The only link that I found on the main page of Connect doesn't go anywhere.

--
    Don
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 11:57 PM