Installing slimserver on HP EX470 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just bought an HP EX470, created some accounts, did a few backups, and copied over some music from my client PC.  I'm now ready to install a slimserver on the HP to serve content to my squeezebox (since the HP will be on all the time).  But I'm new to the home server SKU and I'm not sure how to do this.

Do you need to create an msi "add-in" for any software you want to execute on the HP?  or can you simply copy ".exe" setup packages over to the HP, remote desktop in as admin, and run them?

I tried the latter but it didn't work.  I got a permission error.  Any help or suggestions would greatly appreciated.  Details follow:

1) Downloaded latest version 7 slimserver install exe.

2) Copied it to the "software" shared folder on HP.

3) Logged in as admin on HP via remote desktop.

4) Navigated to the software folder and double clicked installer exe.

5) Got "Windows cannot access the file.  You may not have permission"

6) Check properties and saw admin had full access rights.

7) Very confused.

If you know the secret for how to this this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jeff

Saturday, March 8, 2008 6:05 AM

All replies

• The easiest way to deploy software to a Windows Home Server is if it is packaged as an add-in... unfortunately not everyone does that so for the rest of the software we might want to deploy... we’ve got to do what you are doing and log into the device via Remote Desktop and install it manually.

Try copying the installer to the desktop of your Home Server and then execute it from there... if that doesn’t fix things... to confirm on your server you are navigating to... \\hpserver\Software\ and executing the installer while connected to your Home Server via Remote Desktop? What happens if you try to access and execute the same file from your normal desktop?

Saturday, March 8, 2008 4:56 PM
  •  

I read in another post that the trick was to copy it off the share (to somewhere on CSmile and it shoudl install fine.  I have been running for several months, but I think I downloaded it direct to the WHS box and thus I wouldn't have hit your problem.

You might want to look at installing it as a service so you don't have to restart it when the server reboots (after updates or any power failure.

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:20 PM