2.0 beta won't start RRS feed

• Question

• I just had the 2.0 beta installed by the IT department (normal users like me don't have admin privs ). It is on an internal list of department approved apps so IT doesn't support it beyond the install. When I start it I immediately get a popup that SyncToy has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Any ideas on what the problem might be or where to look for clues?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:18 PM

Answers

• I was able to get it working. I used msiexec to extract/install the SyncToyBeta folder files into a different folder not in Program Files. Executing from there it works fine. Apparently something in the way our IT department locks down machines was preventing it from operating normally in the default location.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 10:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am sorry to hear that SyncToy is not working for you. Can you post more information on what kind of environment you are running SyncToy on ( OS, 32 bit vs 64 bit, etc)?

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:41 PM
  • XP SP2, 32 bit
    Friday, April 25, 2008 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

If you look in your Add/Remove programs - what versions of .NET do you have installed? And also can you ensure that you can see SQL Server Compact Edition 3.1 installed as well?

Thanks
    Deepa

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Listed in Add/Remove Programs:
    .NET Framework 1.1
    .NET Framework 1.1. Hotfix (KB928366)
    .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition

There is a folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.1 created when the install was done.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Hi,

This does look correct. Do you have Visual Studio installed on your boxes. There is a VS tool called Fuslogvw.exe which gives information on assembly binds and the reasons for why it cannot load an assembly at runtime.

This location has instructions on how to run it. But in short you just run Fuslogvw.exe and then try to start your App. After it fails and closes - hit Refresh on the FuslogVW screen and it will come up with a list of entries for the assemblies that it tried to load for SyncToy. Clicking on each line will give you information on whether it was successfully loaded

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e74a18c4(VS.80).aspx

Thanks

Deepa

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:52 PM
  • I don't have Visual Studio.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:10 PM
  • I was able to get it working. I used msiexec to extract/install the SyncToyBeta folder files into a different folder not in Program Files. Executing from there it works fine. Apparently something in the way our IT department locks down machines was preventing it from operating normally in the default location.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 10:20 PM
  • That is useful for us to know and we will keep investigating. It is good to know that it started working for you.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:33 PM
  • I had this same issue with the no beta version. I used the workaround mentioned and installed to c:\sync toy 2.0 and it works fine
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:32 PM
  • how exactly do I use msiexec to extract/install?  I am having the same problem with XP Pro.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:38 PM
  • how exactly did you use this function? As I am having the same problem now.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:55 PM
  • how exactly did you use this function? As I am having the same problem now.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:56 PM