Installed PP3 - Media Center Connector wont install and errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried this on different clients, Win 7 Ultimate, Vista etc but the connector fails on all saying..

An unknown network error has occured

The computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

Well the shares all work and no other issues at all. I read this was a bug in the beta testing so not 100% fixed? Is this a known issue still and a fix will come out soon? Any work arounds?

Thanks
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 11:07 AM

Answers

• I finally fixed this issue. In the setting section I needed to enable the media center sharing which might seem obvious but I saw no reference to this and the error I got was not indicating this either. Anyway all solved now so thanks for all your help.
    • Marked as answer by WHS1965 Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From the client, can you "ping" your server both by name and IP-address?
    If it is accessible only by IP addres, you have some name resulation problem. In that case you can try adding the server name to the 'hosts' file as a work around.

- Theo

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

No issues with that at all and all my shares are using the WHS hostname i.e. \\homeserver\music and all works 100%. You can see the WHS fine in the Win 7 network map etc

Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:19 PM
  • OK,
    So you had no problems with PP2?
    Then installed PP3 and all of your client PC's can no longer connect?

* You did try restarting your server?
    * Can you log-in to the servers Remote Desktop and start the WHS console form there; anything unusual reported?
       Any errors in de Windows Event list?
    * From the WHS remote desktop check if the "Windows Home Server Transport Service" is started?
       (Start->"run"->"services.msc")

- Theo.

PS - I would suggest you file a problem report at MS Connect. More information on how to do this you can find here

Sunday, November 29, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Hi,
    No issues with PP2. Since I installed PP3 no connection issues to data on the server and all the clients can connect the issue is with the Media Center Connector no client works and all error as post 1.

1. Server restarted
    2. Yes remote desktop works
    3. No major clues in the event logs
    4. Transport service running.

I did read this was a bug during the beta phase so looks like not fully solved??
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:07 PM
  • OK, now I see... (*hmmpf*) If only I had read your post title :-/

'not sure. But I did see at least one other user that reports similiar problems. From here, I can not tell what is going wrong at your side. Must be a problem on the server as all your clients have problems to connect. The best advise I can give you now is to report this to MS Connect as suggested in my earlier post.

Make sure to include a CAB-number for both your server and at least one client. The CAB-numbers will point to diagnostics information that is automatically uploaded to MS. By doing so the WHS Team can analyse the problem and possibly advise you on how to solve this. If this ia a bug, it also helps to find and fix it.

- Theo.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Thanks for the thoughts and agree a server issue. I went to your link but the link to the toolkit is now not valid and I see it was for PP1 so is this all still valid as never usered "connect"?

Thanks
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Hi,
    I see...

You can download the WHS Toolkit through http://{server}:55000/ (where {server} is the name of your WHS server)
    Btw: It will lead you here... (32 bit version, the 64-bit you can find here)

- Theo.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:24 PM
  • OK I have signed up and can see already submitted....

Type: Bug
    ID: 507404
    Opened: 01/11/2009 21:21:54
    Access Restriction: Public

Monday, November 30, 2009 8:27 PM
  • A see,
    This was PP3 on Win7 RC. But it looks this problem is still arround.

Please *do* submit your own report.
    And please include CAB's (507404 hasn't). This is the only way MS can analyse the problem.

- Theo.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:42 PM
  • OK will do
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Hi,

From the client, can you "ping" your server both by name and IP-address?
    If it is accessible only by IP addres, you have some name resulation problem. In that case you can try adding the server name to the 'hosts' file as a work around.

- Theo

Thanks Theo! Adding the static IP of the WHS in the hosts file on my XP-MCE solved the connection problem.
    All I have to do now is figuring out access issues to folders. Hmmm ...
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 2:16 PM
  • NOt sure what BB68 reply is about as seems wrong thread? I can ping IP and hostname fine this is not the issue here. I still have the problem too :( I am building another WHS just to help to debug this further....
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Just thinking....
    I have connected several Windows 7 clients (both 32 and 64 bits) to WHS. So have others. No problems there.
    If I am not mistaking, some have reported problems like yours however.
    I figure the solution is probably found in your network configuration.
    My thoughts (FWIW) on things you could check on:

I assume:
    1. You are running Windows 7 RTM with all updates?
    2. You are running WHS/PP3 with all updates (through the console)?
    3. You can ping the server both by IP and name.
    4. You are logged-in with a user account with "Administrator" privileges?
    5. You tried to install the client connector software from "http:{yourservername}:55000"?

Are the clients all on the same workgroup as the server?
    From "Network and Sharing Center", does the active network list as "Home Network"?
    Anything disabled at "Advanced sharing settings"?

Did you try disconnecting your router from the internet (for instance by disconnecting the connection to your Cable/DSL modem)?
    Any third-party applications installed (antivirus, firewall, VPN, parental access, etc)? Try disabling or maybe uninstalling them?

- Theo.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Answers are....

I assume:
    1. You are running Windows 7 RTM with all updates? Correct
    2. You are running WHS/PP3 with all updates (through the console)? Correct
    3. You can ping the server both by IP and name. Yes 100% fine
    4. You are logged-in with a user account with "Administrator" privileges? Correct
    5. You tried to install the client connector software from "http:{yourservername}:55000"? No it was already on my Win  clients so will try this - thanks

Are the clients all on the same workgroup as the server? Correct
    From "Network and Sharing Center", does the active network list as "Home Network"? No I dont use that as only 1 Win 7 PC others are XP and Vista on the same network and all wire connected too.
    Anything disabled at "Advanced sharing settings"? I will check as not sure

Did you try disconnecting your router from the internet (for instance by disconnecting the connection to your Cable/DSL modem)? No but will try that
    Any third-party applications installed (antivirus, firewall, VPN, parental access, etc)? Try disabling or maybe uninstalling them? Yes many apps installed, AV, My Movies etc so I might have to go down this route as well. I will try all these and update soon - thanks

Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Ref this...

5. You tried to install the client connector software from "http:{yourservername}:55000"? No it was already on my Win  clients so will try this - thanks

... I dont have an issue with the connector s\w it is the Media Server connector that has this issue. All the clients have the WHS connector installed fine and all backup fine etc
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:50 PM
  • NOt sure what BB68 reply is about as seems wrong thread? I can ping IP and hostname fine this is not the issue here. I still have the problem too :( I am building another WHS just to help to debug this further....

No, not wrong thread. I had the same problem as you initially stated and I replied to Theo's remark about adding the static IP to the hosts file on the MCE. THAT solved MY issue. :-)

Good luck on yours!

BTW: I installed the connector software from the server.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 6:27 AM

No, not wrong thread. I had the same problem as you initially stated and I replied to Theo's remark about adding the static IP to the hosts file on the MCE. THAT solved MY issue. :-)

Good luck on yours!

BTW: I installed the connector software from the server.

Oh I see but was your issue with the WHS connector or the Media Center Connector? My issue is with the Media Center Connector. Thanks
    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:41 PM
  • I finally fixed this issue. In the setting section I needed to enable the media center sharing which might seem obvious but I saw no reference to this and the error I got was not indicating this either. Anyway all solved now so thanks for all your help.
    • Marked as answer by WHS1965 Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:50 AM

Great!
    I certainly did not expect this to be the problem. I will make a note on this!

As I allways have media center sharing enabled, I never run into this. Looks like an issue with the connector software. Could you maybe add this information to the report you filed on connect?

Thanks for sharing your fix,
    - Theo,

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Well I never did a report as I felt I had not covered all the options yet and now I am glad I di dnot raise one as found the issue but of course as we know the connector s\w errored incorrectly for the conditions.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:16 PM