Configuring the SATA Drives on the MOBO RRS feed

• Question

• It's been a long time since I've done a build and a lot has changed. Where is a good tutorial on all of the SATA terminology and configuration options. I want to be sure that I've configure the BIOS for best performance / reliability.

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:16 AM

Answers

• You have a choice, compatibility or performance.

If you go for compatibility, you'll configure your SATA ports to run in legacy IDE mode, which will make your SATA drives look like PATA drives to the operating system. You won't have access to advanced SATA concepts like NCQ or hot swapping. NCQ might provide a small performance improvement for WHS, but there's no real need for hot swapping, because once you give a drive to WHS, you can't just pull it out when you like, you have to tell WHS to remove it from the storage pool. You won't need special drivers for WHS to recognize your HBA if you choose legacy IDE mode.

If you choose to go for performance, you'll configure your HBA for AHCI mode. That will support all the cool advanced features of SATA, but you'll probably need to install drivers when you install WHS, and some people have had problems with a server reinstallation (which will preserve your files) recognizing that WHS was previously installed.

My recommendation is to go with compatibility. It will make your life easier.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 1:26 AM