Convert MSMoney 2001 (Standard OEM Version) for use on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• (In the U.S.) I have been running this outdated version of Money for maintaining the checking register for myself and for several small organizations.  That basic program has provided me all the facilities I needed.

I now have Windows 7, and the old program will not run.  I'm aware of the Sunset version of Money.  Will it work with the data I have accumulated?  Do I have to go through another conversion before I can use the Sunset facility?   If I choose to go the Sunset route, am I forever locked out of using Microsoft's current purchasable program?

And will the current purchasable version of Money work with the data that I have accumulated?

Friday, July 23, 2010 5:00 PM

All replies

• First, I suspect your issue with the M01 OEM is that it was tied to the OEM system it came with.

M01 MAY convert directly into M+ Sunset.  Can't recall where, but somewhere along the way there was a breakpoint where you had to use an intermediate version to upgrade to and then upgrade the file a second time. I could google for that answer or you could. There was an intermediate version available at Microsoft for download just for this purpose. (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108/en-us for the one I was recalling.) Don't know if it's still available, but before long I'm pretty sure it won't be. Microsoft is heading in the direection of "leave no trace" that Money ever existed.

Understand that except for craigslist/eBay there are pretty much no purchasable versions of Money out there. Microsoft stopeed selling it over a year ago and stopped shring wrapping it over two years ago if memory serves. All that remains is M+ Sunset. M+ Sunset is more recent than all else.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Thanks.  I am making progress.  I have converted to the 2005 Trial version of Money, and I will proceed to the additional conversion from 2005 into the Sunset version.  That should take care of me for a while.

However, I see there are two versions of Sunset - both free, of course, but one seems to relate to the more basic version of Money and the other to the more extensive business version.  I'm guessing that the basic version would provide everything I need, but is there any reason why I should prefer or avoid the business version?

I get the impression that I can use either version of Sunset for the conversion from 2005 Trial.

I'm looking for check record keeping plus various analytical reports but nothing in the way of online updates or connections.

Which Sunset should I choose? 

Sunday, July 25, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Unless you are using it to run a Business, I'd stick with Deluxe for sure.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 4:32 AM
  • Thanks again.

I will make sure of my backups and then download Sunset today.  Right now, I'm frustrated with Trial 2005 because it works only with a 2004 or 2005 machine date.  Therefore, although I can see all my data, I'm not able to put new checks or receipts in with 2010 dates.  Sunset should resolve that "trial" problem.

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:38 AM