Sluggish performance after reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Since reinstalling my server, I'm noticing very low performance.  There's nothing installed on the machine at this point, just the bare WHS OS and I'm working my way through the updates.  I'm also copying data from the old drives to the new shared folder, and that seems to be going along well enough. 

When I say slow, I mean things like Computer Management taking upwards of 30-45 seconds to open, or browsing the shares taking much longer than usual.  Renaming a folder took a good 15 seconds (Right click > pause > Rename > pause > type new name > pause).  The server specs are an Intel Celeron 420 @ 1.6, 2gb RAM, and a 1.5TB SATA drive that the OS is installed on. 

I was thinking it might have to do with the demigrator service doing its thing since I'm copying data, but Task Manager doesn't show it as taking up any CPU cycles. 

Where else can I look to track this down? 
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• The second option is your best bet, I think. Assuming you go that route, you should clean the disk on some computer other than your server. In a command prompt (elevated on Vista/7):

diskpart
    list disk (find the server's current system disk in the list)
    sel disk # (with the number chosen above)
    clean
    exit

And be extremely careful, because diskpart doesn't have a safety net.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by ECEC Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:49 PM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:31 PM

All replies

• Since reinstalling my server, I'm noticing very low performance.  There's nothing installed on the machine at this point, just the bare WHS OS and I'm working my way through the updates.  I'm also copying data from the old drives to the new shared folder, and that seems to be going along well enough. 

When I say slow, I mean things like Computer Management taking upwards of 30-45 seconds to open, or browsing the shares taking much longer than usual.  Renaming a folder took a good 15 seconds (Right click > pause > Rename > pause > type new name > pause).  The server specs are an Intel Celeron 420 @ 1.6, 2gb RAM, and a 1.5TB SATA drive that the OS is installed on. 

I was thinking it might have to do with the demigrator service doing its thing since I'm copying data, but Task Manager doesn't show it as taking up any CPU cycles. 

Where else can I look to track this down? 
    It might be indexing.  When you looked at Task Manager, was anything taking up CPU cycles?
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:50 PM
  • How long has it been since you installed your server?  Do you have the media serving services enabled - these are known to take up the CPU whilst they build their database.  I would leave your server alone for day and let it settle.
    --
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:18 PM
  • I just reinstalled yesterday, and am in the process of migrating data over from disks in my previous installation.  No media serving services, just a clean install with updates installed. 

Nothing in the task manager eating up cpu cycles either.  I just canceled the data move and rebooted to finish up the PP3 install, and it's still moving pretty slow.  Getting into Computer Management still takes what I would consider an abnormal amount of time.  I'm comparing this to the previous install that has all the same hardware, except the system drive is now SATA and was previously IDE.

The Windows Search Indexer was going, but I've been shutting that off since there's no point to running it until I get all the data moved over.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:22 PM
  • The SATA drive isn't one of those new 4KB Cluster units is it?

Also did you get the right driver for your SATA Controller? Is DMA mode enabled in Device Manager?  Did you accidentally set a slower UDMA/PIO mode in bios?

--
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:31 PM
  • If you're using an Advanced Format drive, here's some common sense advice . Unfortunately it's not likely to be what you want to hear.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Motherboard is a Biostar P4M890-M7.

I don't think the HDD is 4KB cluster, I just got it from Best Buy yesterday.  WD Caviar Green 1.5 (didn't those 4KB cluster units just come out?). 

I downloaded drivers from the VIA website, using my model number as a match.  I'm pretty sure I did the same thing with the last install (although that was well over a year ago). 

Re: DMA Mode.  For the both IDE Channels and the IDE Controller, I can look at the Advanced Settings in the Properties and see that they're set to "DMA if available".  I have three devices connected, two HDDs and a DVD burner, and all say the Current Transfer Mode is "Ultra DMA Mode x" where x is a number 4-6. 

I can't find this information on the SATA drives or controllers, though. In the BIOS, I have the SATA ports set to IDE mode, if that makes a difference.  I'm about to reboot and again and dig more into the BIOS and see if I can find anything.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:58 PM
  • Ok, so I did a performance test on the SATA drive and I'm averaging 7mb/s.  Ha! Something is definitely wrong with the SATA driver.  Going through options now.  :)
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:35 PM
  • If you're using an Advanced Format drive, here's some common sense advice . Unfortunately it's not likely to be what you want to hear.

How do I tell if I'm using an Advanced Format drive?  I can't seem to find anything on the WD website. 

And I can not for the life of me find updated drivers for this SATA controller.  I tried this one: http://www.driverdownloading.com/Driver/P4M890-M7_SE_7x_Serial_ATA_RAID.html and then I tried this one http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp (Microsoft Windows > Windows XP > IDE, RAID, and SATA > VT8237 Integrated Controller) that specifically says it will be the right one for WHS, but no luck when trying to update the driver. 

If I try the setup file from that second link, I get "Sorry, the install wizard can't find the supported hardware in your system" message.  GRRRR

Edit: I should mention that I didn't have to load drivers from a disk during setup, WHS just found the drive automatically.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Is the server already upgraded after reinstall via Windows Update?
    Sluggish performance was also a problem with the versions pre Power Pack 1, as D: drive did still serve as landing zone.
    (Version number in console under Settings/Resources should be 2423.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Ok, I confirmed the drive is an Advanced Format drive via http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5324&p_created=1263858658&p_sid=FkRYtSWj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=1679&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9Nyw3JnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXdkMTVlYXJz&p_li=&p_topview=1

So, after reading that, a couple of threads about crappy performance in general, and Ken's link to common sense tips, I'm guessing I only have a few options:

1) Reset the jumper, which will cause me to have to reinstall WHS.
    2) Install the OS to a non-Advanced Mode drive, and use the jumper setting to set it up and add it to the pool.
    3) Say FU to Western Digital, swap both of the 1.5 drives out for Seagate versions, reinstall the OS. 

I'm leaning towards #3 at the moment.  It will put me out a few days (and I'll have to deal with returns to both Best Buy and Newegg) but at the end I'll probably have a better performing system. 

Do the new Seagate drives have this issue?  Looking at this one in particular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148412
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:09 PM
  • The second option is your best bet, I think. Assuming you go that route, you should clean the disk on some computer other than your server. In a command prompt (elevated on Vista/7):

diskpart
    list disk (find the server's current system disk in the list)
    sel disk # (with the number chosen above)
    clean
    exit

And be extremely careful, because diskpart doesn't have a safety net.
    • Marked as answer by ECEC Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:49 PM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Well, I'm moving the data I copied to it off, so there will be no data on it.  But I have another drive of the exact same model (or close enough) coming on Tuesday as well. 

The problem is now I don't have an empty non-WD SATA drive to install the OS on.  I might swap out the one I got a BB for a 1TB Seagate or something, I suppose, and start my new install tomorrow.  :sigh:  :)  Computers suck! 

Thanks again for all your help, Ken.  I'll post back here once everything gets underway. 
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:49 PM
  • All advanced format (i.e. 4k physical sector) drives, from any manufacturer, will likely have the same basic issues.

And the advice to clean the old system drive on a computer other than your server is because connecting a Windows Home Server system drive from one installation to a different server (in the sense that it's running a different installation, not in a physical hardware sense) is likely to cause some serious issues.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:57 PM
  • I just returned the WD drive that I had the OS install on it and got a brand new Seagate 1.5, so I'm not worried about that part.  I did read through the instruction manual and discover that I need to set a jumper to limit transfer speeds to 1.5gb/s due to the SATA controller on my motherboard (VT8237).  I did that and have started my latest installation. 

Once that's done I should have enough room to pull data off my 1tb drive, add that to the pull, then start on the 500/250/300gb IDE drives.  Tomorrow (hopefully) the SATA port and extra 1.5tb drive will be in, and I'll be able to pull the data off my other 1.5 and add that to the system.  Gonna be a long week of data transfers, I can tell already.  :) 
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:50 PM