New build with WHS PP1 - drive recommendations RRS feed

• Question

• I'm planning to build my first WHS server, and I'm still not entirely clear on the drive size recommendations for the main system drive under PP1. I currently have a 400GB drive to recycle into the WHS and a 1TB WD Green drive (with perhaps another on the way).

Should I use a "faster" drive than the WD Green for the system drive? Is it still a good idea to use the biggest drive for the system drive in PP1? Is there a particular drive which is well suited for the system drive that I should order from the start?

I would like to build this with an eye towards minimizing power consumption. This server should stand idle for about 90% of the time, with maybe a few hours of media streaming work in the evening in addition to its role as a back-up for our pc/mac.

Thanks for the help!
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:41 PM

Answers

• Best practice if you're looking for the full protection that WHS can deliver for your files, and minimal power use, would be to have two drives of approximately equal size, with the smaller of the two (if one is larger) the system drive. Two of the WD drives you mention would work, and you would have plenty of room for expansion without adding additional drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 14, 2008 6:17 PM