Response from student2business india RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to know whether s2b(student2business) will review our project. We have achieved all milestones until the project review by microsoft which remains unnchecked even after the deadline. I dont know whether we will receive anythign for the hard work that we put up until now or is s2b just a hoax or something ?? I have not received any feeedback , emails , anything for that matter from s2b india .Will i be able to submit my code for the next milestone and also the website has not changed from the day we registered our project. it still says register your project (in the 1st page) ,long after the deadline for registration has been complete.If by any chance s2b has been closed , i think that the s2b administration should have informed us earlier.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:25 AM

All replies

• My story is exactly the same like "warthorn". There's been a lot of confusion in the 4th round Microsoft review.

Firstly the templates provided are regarding mentor feedback. So there should be some provisions made for the same to be uploaded which hasn't been done.

Secondly the deadline for the 4th round is over with the project review not completed.

Thirdly there's no information on the entire S2B website on how to deal with the activities in the rounds.

Lastly there hasn't been any provisions made for the 5th round SOURCE CODE submissions to be uploaded.

IF THERE's ANYBODY HAVING THE SAME GRIEVANCED THEN PLZ. BE IN CONTACT:

http://www.gameboyzone.com/ContactMe.htm

I'LL ADMIRE, IF YOU ADD ME OVER THE MESSENGER....
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:34 AM
  • The same  goes with me as well.........

S2B ppl did reply........when i asked a query earlier........

but since then it is been like dead.

I have submitted everythng till now.

but the microsoft hasnt yet reviewed our projects....................

Iam desperately waiting for the same...............since i had put in a lot of effort.

If the samvaad admin is reading this..........

then plz answer............

we are still waiting for the microsoft's review...........the deadline has already passed..............
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:39 PM
  • Same Problem Here!
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Here too!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:19 PM
  •  I too have been troubled by how things are unclear, with a cross mark left in the panel over 'Review by Microsoft', and how inactive Microsoft India has been. Now I've heard that S2B contests have an Expo too, I wonder what date would be decided for that, whether it would clash with my End Sems, What if I've already left for my internship by the time they announce/date is fixed. My end sems start 27th of April, ends on 7th of May, so I've decided to chuck the idea of going for any expo announced later, concentrating on interships/summer projects is more fruitful than this.

Though, it might seem like a hoax, or a very poorly active contest organized by a biggie like Microsoft. A few good things I learnt from this was -- time management, group work, managing a project - dividing it into mutually exclusive portions, so that all 4 of us could proceed further in their parts. My friends and me learned a good deal of C#, we implemented multi-threading, I tried out ASP.NET MVC, the image processing dude on our team found his way through a project under a prof. at IISc, Whatever happens to the contest, one thing is sure, we learned a lot of new things, and I thank Microsoft for that :)

Future plans for our project is to make it open-source, cross-platform, get rid of IIS7 (had a tough time installing it once the old installer got screwed, finally re-installed Vista for this little thing, I hope future versions of IIS are not so dependent on the OS, make it something like XAMPP, WAMP packages, independent, removable, portable, well atleast for students like us), switch over to PHP+MySQL stack, that assures easy deployment, and we dream that our project evolves into something much larger - a framework for others to play around Computer Surveillance, a framework they can customize and develop their own advanced versions. At least in that way our efforts won't die off as just another project done for just another contest that was there, for just another point in our resume :)

We have better and bigger dreams :)

Thanks everyone, thanks MSFT for putting up the S2B website :D
    Keep up the good work,

bbye

Abhishek Mishra
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:49 PM
  • I agree with you on the thing that i also learnt a great deal while working on the project and would not have taken anything seriously if it wasnt for s2b but under any circumstances there must be a response from them also right ?? 
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Yeah they do seem pretty ignorant and layed back, I tried to contact them, the guy who picks up the phone has no idea what am I talking about, and he gives me another number, I dial that and I'm welcomed with "To activate your windows press 1...." seriously!
    I should've spent time on things like GSoC or sharpening my programming skills on spoj.pl and topcoder instead of learning technologies that are built by a particular company, these kind of skills are market dependent, but a sharp mind is something universal.
    Even GSoC would have been better option, atleast there is a huge team dedicated to conduct GSoC and its pretty active and responsively managed. While here we observe silence, maybe its the effect of recession, since jobs have been slashed, so maybe the one who was appointed for the S2B initiative lost the job or something.
    You know not our fault, we're left free to imagine, right ? :P
    I should've even concentrated on my tests instead of this, had it not been a contest, I would've developed everything slowly as per my pace and college load.

Anyways no offece to anyone, any business entity or people working @ microsoft
    I guess I should stop finishing up my project's code for submission on 30th and start preparing for my end sems that start after 3 days... O_o

adios
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:32 PM
  • True man........

i learnt a lot as well.........
    juggling thorugh the college schedule nd the project issues...........
    iam actually submitting three projects in S2B this yr..........

nd i happen to be the only constant in all the three projects..........rest of the team is different.........

i worked really hard this time around.........
    last yr i got a score of 33. nd missed out in the top 25 by a margin of 5-6 i guess.

Seriously...........it really pains....when u dont even get a response from these guys.........

Guys............if anyone of u can get anythng related to this.....plz update the forum with dat.........

eagerly awaiting.......any response.........

Ciao...........
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:12 AM
  • Hey ppl, wat s happening in microsoft.
    If they could n't continue with the competition pl inform us atleast. we are putting in lot of  efforts inspite of our exams, and we need a response atleast.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:30 AM
  • We should have taken notice of the "0" replies in most of the threads running in this forum. That's a clear marker of lack of activity.
    Running a community/forum takes ideas, creativity and manpower, its not like a plant you leave to grow up on its own. Its not something totally autonomous.
    I think they've got pretty wrong ideas about how to run a successful community/forum, @MSFT take some lessons from HN (for those who know whats HN ;) )
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Hi friends Microsoft has sent an email. This is what it states

Dear S2B Participant

We have a few updates with regard to the Project Review and Project Milestones on the Student2Business Program.

Over the past few weeks, we have received multiple emails from students from across the country requesting for the extension of the Project Code Submission deadline, owing to exams and submissions at college. Since the number of requests are large, we have decided to honour your requests and the new deadline for submitting the Project Code would be 20th May 2009, we hope that this will provide all the teams sufficient time to work on their projects in detail.

We would also like to request from you more time to provide you with your review scores for the Round 2 Design Document Submission. We have some of our best technology partners going through your documents in detail and you shall be receiving your review scores on the 8th of May 2009. The changes on the website will be reflected in a few days.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused and hope that the extra time on your hands help you develop the quality of your projects

Regards 

S2B India Team

Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Ah that's a relief. Does anyone think that students (specially engineering ones) get decentralized in their holidays. I mean to say, you know people live in a hostel, belong to different places and run to their hometowns as soon as the exam ends. Working together in vacations is totally dependent on the internet. And when your project involved electronics too, it becomes a serious problem, as here the electronics guy would love to disassemble the servo motors and use them for something else...
    We do have problems with coordinating the finishing touches on our project, but since deadlines have been extended we would make sure we do our best :)
    We can't submit any further documents before 8th May, End Sems more important :)

Thanks!

[Do update the website ASAP]
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:42 AM
  • phew........

Dats a breather for sure.........

Awaiting that email on my id as well...........
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:53 AM
  • @ jgsudhar

I haven't received any mail with the contents you've put as above.....

But I've received a a mail which says we'll be coming with an announcement shortly ....

I suppose that is exactly what you've got.... Surely I'll be receiving the same in a couple of days....

THANKS BY THE WAY .....
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:52 PM