msmpgeng.exe high usage and backup fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new laptop computer running vista preium 64 bit with sp1 installed, I have uninstalled the norton internet security trail ware with a file from norton. (rgis I think) no problems with uninstall then installed one care. performed backup of system w/out issues. then added my music and pictures to system, tried to perform incremental back up, 14 dvd discs later, said tape was out of memory (something like that). vista is telling me that msmpgeng.exe is wasting 66 seconds on startup. is this the cause of my back up failure? Related or 2 issues? Would sp2 be an improvement?

Monday, February 1, 2010 2:14 PM

Answers

• I'm going to move your post to the backup forum.

I do recommend updating to SP2.

I also suggest running the Norton Removal Tool if you suspect that bits may be left behind.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

The high CPU at boot being reported by Vista is likely due to the scan engine (MSMPENG) trying hard to scan everything that is loading at startup. Cleaning up the system to not load excessive programs and services at startup may help the performance issue and may even resolve the backup failure.

I'll refer you to support for help on the backup error that you encountered, however, I'm actually more inclined to suggest that you abandon OneCare as a backup solution for your music file as that is likely what all of those DVDs ended up being for. MP3 files aren't going to compress further for a backup, so you may as well manually copy them to DVDs for archival purposes or get an external hard drive to copy them to. The pictures should probably not take up too much room, and they may compress a little bit for the backup. Reducing what is being backed up may resolve the memory issue.

Note also that OneCare is at end of life, hence my idea that you probably should spend too much effort on getting the backups to work for all of that data. 

See this post for End of Life information for Windows Live OneCare -
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/81996436-edad-41ba-bdfc-02fc094e2ca9

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 1, 2010 6:01 PM