OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use onecare for the pc's in my network, but don't necessarily want it on my server, which is running Server 2003. Can I do this without it looking for some sort of key on the server.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• If your PCs are domain joined to a SBS domain, OneCare expects you to be installing as part of a OneCare for Server License package. To get around this, you're going to need to make some changes to the PCs.

See this thread for the details: 

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/613e5ab6-b57e-465d-8204-1c8d41edc539/

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Correct me if I'm misunderstanding. There are those who have it installed on servers NOT running SBS 2008? Is this a previous version? I was really looking to get rid of Zone Alarm and wanted to move over to OneCare, but it seems that you can't get a site license without a server running SBS 2008. Did I miss any options? I can't find any way to talk to Microsoft people without paying to do so.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:29 PM
  • No, OneCare for Server is (was) only coded to work on Windows Server 2008 64 bit. It won't install on Windows Server 2003. The issue with domain joined clients and retail licenses for those clients is because the OneCare installer is looking for a specific registry key that the developers believed to be unique to SBS 2008, so it forced the activation to look for the site license when a client is domain joined.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:15 PM
  • I'll add that I included (was) in my reply because OneCare is an end of life product, so even if you were running SBS 2008, I'd advise against setting up a site license for the server and joined clients as you'd have to switch to another solution at the end of the 12 month subscription.
    -steve
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Wow, so after 12 months, I'd be looking at doing this again instead of just renewing?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Yes, that would be correct. However, the replacement for OneCare will be a free antivirus product called Microsoft Security Essentials. You'd need to uninstall OneCare if you choose to switch to MSE, but at least it is free. :-) It is based on the same detection engine and signatures as OneCare.
    -steve
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Thanks Stephen, you've been extremely helpful.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:10 PM