WHS on VPC2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I know the official answer is "WHS is not supported for virtualization" but I'm hoping someone has found a workaround.

I have successfully installed WHS as a VPC.  I have also successfully connected to it from a second Win XP VPC.  My only issue is that whenever the WHS is running, I lose the ability to connect to the internet from any machine on the network (virtual or real).  I get a response when I ping an address (ie: www.google.com) but get a "Cannot fond Server or DNS error" when i try to browse to it.

Any suggestions?

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Drew.

I see you have WHS as a vurtual machine, whenever i try to install WHS I get the error

" Hard Drive capable of hosting WHS was not found would you like to load addidtional storage drivers "

my hdd is 80 gig allocated space its a vurtual scsi as all vmware drives, did you get any errors ? If so how did you get round it. ?

I am trying to install direct from iso and have allocated 1024 ram using vmware 6, ( can build many server 2003 boxes but cant nail WHS !! )

any ideas ?

Cheers

Simon

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:48 PM
  • Simon,

My first attempt was unsuccessful.  By default, VPC creates virtual drives as Dynamic.  I got a similar error with this setup.

For my second (and final) attempt, I created a new VPC instance using a virtual drive that I configured as fixed (80GB).  Once the virtual drive was (finally) created, the install went perfectly.

I allocated only 512MB of RAM, the single Fixed 80GB Virtual Drive, all other VPC settings were the defaults.  Seems to be working fine, except for the inability to browse the Internet.

Hope this helps, Good luck

Drew

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:58 PM
  • Hi Drew.

Cheers for your responce, I was trying to use VMware but now using VPC2007.

1st build went wrong like yours, I am currently building a fixed 80 gig ( taking ages, will then hopfully be away, will look into your issue when I get that Far.

Cheers

Simon

Friday, June 15, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Hi Drew

Still having the same problem,

I built a fixed 80 gig drive ( took about 1 hr to make ) but this did not work.

Any chance I can download your VPC drive and try it? I understand its a big file, but struggling with this one.

Cheers

Simon

Friday, June 15, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Hi Drew.

I removed the hdd from the vurtual machine settings then closed VPC2007, then I thought I would try something so I started VPC2007 added the machine and started the machine, this time up she came and I am now installing WHS.

Once I get to the internet issue you spoke about, I will give it a go at resolving the issue and will advise.

cheers

simon

Friday, June 15, 2007 7:59 PM
  • I've been running WHS on Virtual Server 2005 R2 RC for a while now and it's been working great.  I just installed the RC WHS build two days ago and so far, so good.  The install failed the first two times when I was trying to use a virtual SCSI drive with fixed sized hard drives.  I changed back to using and IDE boot drive and a dynamic disk and all is now well.

One note - be sure that any virtual drives that you add to WHS are on different physical drives on the host machine.  Otherwise, the duplication in WHS won't do you any good - you can still loose everything if all your WHS drives are on the same host machine drive and the host machine drive fails.

FYI, my stats are WHS RC on Virtual Server 2005 R2 RC on Server 2003 R2 amd64.  The Virtual Machine has three drives - the WHS boot drive is an dynamic IDE drive on a host hardware striped drive.  I've got two more 465G drives on two separate 500G host drives.  The WHS VM has 1G of memory and has virtual machine additions added.  I'm using a network controller bound directly to my host's network controller.

Someone's going to ask why on Earth I'm doing this.  The main reason is that I don't want to buy extra hardware and I want to keep the WHS machine free from running extra stuff on it, so I run the extra stuff on another VM :-)  The host machine actually has three VMs on it.  I'm weird, I know.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:38 AM
  • After playing adound some more, I'm thinking issue may not be related to VPC.  I have determined that my ability to browse the Internet is only restricted after WHS tries to configure my router for remote access.  It failes on the last three steps and I cannot browse the internet unitil I either unconfigure the router or shut down WHS.

My router is a Belkin F5D7230-4. I'm running the latest firmware (version 4.03.03 ). 

Has anyone had trouble with this Belkin router?

Thanks

Drew.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Hi Drew.

I have now got WHS working and I also had no internet, but my issue was only my firewall, access granted to VPC2007.exe and all ok, sorry I cannot be any more help to you, but good luck.

Cheers

Simon

Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:35 PM
  • Drew,

Thanks so much for this info, managed to get my install sorted... this was really starting to annoy me.

Thanks again.

Jim
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Drew,

please have a look at this article

Information about the automatic router configuration feature in Windows Home Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944993/en-us

You should prefer to setup the router manually.
    I´ve secured my router to not be configurable via upnp cause of security concerns, therefore I´ve configured
    ist manually.

Cheers
      Stephan. 
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:40 PM