locked
SyncToy has stopped working RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi everybody.
    Not much about this on Google..Every each 'Run' results in 'SyncToy has stopped working', although Preview runs and displays correctly. Tried removing folders with failing files but crash appeares again on different file. Usually immediately after start of 'Run', max in 2 seconds. Same for cmd version. This is the app log:
    Faulting application SyncToy.exe, version 2.0.100.0, time stamp 0x48a0aa38, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791adec, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x00000000000a6e97, process id 0x478, application start time 0x01c941ad9f56515c.

    Any ideas, or similar experience?
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 2:38 PM

Answers

  • Hello Maria,
    thanks. Unfortunately no, log always ends after:

    Code Snippet

    ...

    Saved approximately 00:43:30:00 by not copying any files.

    SyncToy action was 'Echo'
    Found 1917 actions to perform.
    Found 75,151 files that did not require action.
    Analyzed 3,648.1 files per second.
    Avoided copying 130,905,047,548 bytes in 75,151 files.



    I was able to fix it yesterday by deleting synced folders (2), deleting pairs and starting over, works so far. I will report immediately if it will come back.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:47 PM

All replies

  • Hi Ren

     

    Can you check if you see anything related to this crash in the SyncToy log (Go to File meno -> Log)? 

     

    Maria del Mar Alvarez - MSFT
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:49 AM
  • Hello Maria,
    thanks. Unfortunately no, log always ends after:

    Code Snippet

    ...

    Saved approximately 00:43:30:00 by not copying any files.

    SyncToy action was 'Echo'
    Found 1917 actions to perform.
    Found 75,151 files that did not require action.
    Analyzed 3,648.1 files per second.
    Avoided copying 130,905,047,548 bytes in 75,151 files.



    I was able to fix it yesterday by deleting synced folders (2), deleting pairs and starting over, works so far. I will report immediately if it will come back.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:47 PM
  • Ren

     

    Thanks for the information.  We will continue investigating to figure out what cause this error.

     

    From the information you provider I see you were using echo to synchronize your files.  Can you tell us a little bit more of the SyncToy configuration you had:

    • number of folder pairs
    • sync action for these pairs (Synchronize, Echo, Contribute) 
    • If you were doing Echo, did you ever modified the right folder, the one where files were being echo'ed to?

    Also helpful to know:

    • What version of Windows were you running?
    • Under what architecture? (x86, x64)
    • What version of .Net framework do you have installed

     

     

    Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

    Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Sure thing. So, I had two pairs, one of them whole my profile from C:\Users [44.000 files in 67GB], the other one selected folders from C:\Program Files (x86) [1GB in 6600 files]. Program Files pair had no problem when ran alone. Profile pair caused exception each time even when edited/simplified to single small folder (after 'preview' when 'run' part starts if ran in one step, if not, 'preview' alone completed successfully). Sync was Echo and I never touched right side in any way. After creating pairs echoing worked couple of times so I set up task for synctoycmd -R and then troubles started. When I noticed failing task (from log, scheduler displayed task as completed!), I tried GUI and found the problem. Unfortunately I can't remember, if synctoycmd completed succesfully at least once, sorry.:-(
    As you probably noticed, I am running Vista x64, with .NET 3.5 SP1.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Another question, was your right folder in your local machine or in a remote machine?  Did you install SyncToy for x86 or for x64?

     

    Maria

    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Local, on different drive. Installed is x64 version.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the information.

     

    Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:25 PM
  • You're more than welcome.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:29 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem. Also, exactly the same setup. Was working fine until about a week ago...
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 10:10 AM
  • For what it's worth I have tgeh same problem...

    x64, Vista home, echo, to a network share (and/or mapped drive).
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:05 AM
  • same problem here on the x64 version too, except i'm running a synchronise to a network share.  here's the log:

    SYNC: 09/14/2009 19:52:08:516: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYNC: 09/14/2009 19:52:08:535: Starting SyncToy, version 2.0.100.0, built 12/08/2008 14:07:12.
    SYNC: 09/14/2009 19:52:14:460: Started scanning directory : \\DJWIN7MCE\Users\Public\Music\
    SYNC: 09/14/2009 19:52:14:460: Started scanning directory : C:\Users\Public\Music\
    SYNC: 09/14/2009 19:52:28:833: Stopped scanning directory : C:\Users\Public\Music\
    SYNC: 09/14/2009 19:53:10:698: Stopped scanning directory : \\DJWIN7MCE\Users\Public\Music\
    SYNC: 09/14/2009 19:53:36:968: Preview of MCE Music SYNC (C:\Users\Public\Music\, \\DJWIN7MCE\Users\Public\Music\) in time 00:01:22:503.
    SyncToy action was 'Synchronize'
    Found 4834 actions to perform.
    Found 17,747 files that did not require action.
    Analyzed 215.1 files per second.
    Avoided copying 83,696,489,093 bytes in 17,747 files.
    Saved approximately 22:29:52:00 by not copying any files.


    Monday, September 14, 2009 6:58 PM
  • well i got it working again by deleting the hidden synctoy files that are created in both of the sync'ed folders.

    hope this helps :-)
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:20 PM