none
Unsure about how to "get genuine" RRS feed

• Question

• My copy of XP professional has recently been detected as "possibly counterfeit". Since my company did pay for a license, I assumed that this had to be an error on the WGA checker's part, but after some research I've come to the sad conclusion that we've probably been had. My product key (alt least the last, visible part) looks exactly like the key posted by another person in this forum. The IT guy who installed my workstation is no longer working here (for very similar reasons), so I guess I have no choice but to buy another (legit) license now.

My immediate problem is that the WGA validation check never actually completed successfully. I always end up with an error page (quoted below), meaning that I never saw an actual validation result, and thus didn't get a link to a site where I could purchase an Electronic License Key. The "Purchase a Genuine Windows License" menu option on the WGA tray icon is completely useless, it just sends me back to the same validation page that won't work for me.

--- quoting the contents of the WGA error page -------------------------

Windows Validation Error

A problem has been encountered during the Windows Genuine Advantage validation process.

To resolve this:

- Delete the data.dat file from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data (the drive letter will depend on where the OS was installed) to complete the validation process.

Note: Your system may have Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications installed. If notification messages still occur after successful validation, you may follow the steps below to reset the notifications.

- Click Start, and then select Run. The Run dialog box opens.
    - Type wgatray.exe /b in the Open field, and then click OK
    - Restart the computer to remove non-genuine notifications

[Validate Again]

--- end quote ------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I tried:
    • delete the data.dat file as instructed (several times)
    • ran the wgatray.exe /b command (several times)
    • rebooted (several times)
    • tried different combinations of the first 3 steps
    • checked the WGA Diagnostic Site (passed all checks)
    • disabled my proxy
    • use IE7 exclusively for all WGA related checks
    Since I can't get a definitive "genuine" or "counterfeit" result from the check, I'm also unable to download any security updates (Windows update requires me to complete the validation check before letting me download the updates).

Finally, a blog entry pointed me to the MGADiag file, which showed a "Blocked VLK" result. I'm pretty sure we never ordered Windows volume licensed, so if the test result is correct, then this is indeed a pirated copy. Now I know that I have to re-purchase a license for XP Professional, and I also know that I don't qualify for a complimentary CDROM because the piracy apparently happened in-house.

What I don't know:
    • Where can I order this Electronic License Key?
    • Will the new key work even though the WGA check on my system failed with an error?
    • Will I have to reinstall Windows?
    Unfortunately, reinstalling would be a major problem for me, because I've got a rather unusual environment here: a Mac Pro workstation triple-booting to XP, Mac OSX, and Linux. The lack of a BIOS in this computer, and other Apple hardware related weirdnesses, makes (re)installing an OS quite complicated. I really really hope there is a way to just "get genuine" by buying a license key, and get on with my work.

Finally, I've still got unused license keys for XP Professional CDROMS that came with various laptops. Those laptops have Linux installed, and the XP disk and booklet are still shrink-wrapped. Can I use one of these keys instead of purchasing yet another one?

Thanks in advance,
    P Jazdy

PS: I've previously sent an e-mail to MS support about the error with the WGA checks, but since they're probably pretty busy, I haven't heard back from them yet. The inability of getting security updates is making me nervous, so I tought maybe this forum could offer some advice.
    • Edited by Prawo Jazdy Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:14 AM formatting
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:09 AM

Answers

• I've been able to solve my problem.
    For the record, here's what I did:
    • Downloaded the key update tool from Microsoft
    • Ran the tool and entered one of my unused XP license keys (from laptop OEM versions)
    • Rebooted
    Voila, genuine Windows installation. I was able to do download and install all the new updates (including SP3) without any problems.

Meanwhile, a reply to my email has also arrived from Microsoft support. Other than suggestions like "contact the respective support providers" for Mac and Linux, there was little usable information, because "unfortunately, I [the support person] do not have the technical expertise to answer your query". Makes me wonder why I would ever want to pay for Microsoft support.

P Jazdy
    • Marked as answer by Prawo Jazdy Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:42 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:37 PM

All replies

• I've been able to solve my problem.
    For the record, here's what I did:
    • Downloaded the key update tool from Microsoft
    • Ran the tool and entered one of my unused XP license keys (from laptop OEM versions)
    • Rebooted
    Voila, genuine Windows installation. I was able to do download and install all the new updates (including SP3) without any problems.

Meanwhile, a reply to my email has also arrived from Microsoft support. Other than suggestions like "contact the respective support providers" for Mac and Linux, there was little usable information, because "unfortunately, I [the support person] do not have the technical expertise to answer your query". Makes me wonder why I would ever want to pay for Microsoft support.

P Jazdy
    • Marked as answer by Prawo Jazdy Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:42 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Prawo we are glad that you are back running again :-)

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:46 PM