xbox360 cant see WHS as a media server RRS feed

• Question

• I had my xbox pointing to my vista machine as the WMS

but i wanted to switch out to the WHS but i cant get it to find the server

any ideas?

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:46 PM

All replies

•  

Enable the Guest account with no password and in the WHS Console  settings switch on media sharing.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:53 PM
  •  

thanks for the hint

where do i turn on media sharing?

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 7:08 PM
  • WHS Console then settings, settings is top right of the console.

Edit: Not sure what version you have,  try the gears at the top right corner.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 7:10 PM
  • You do not need to enable the guest account for xbox 360 streaming.  Simply turn on media sharing, console > settings > media sharing > toggle it on using radio button.

alex.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:03 PM
  •  almonde wrote:
    You do not need to enable the guest account for xbox 360 streaming.  Simply turn on media sharing, console > settings > media sharing > toggle it on using radio button.

alex.

Correct, unless you need to use the Vista Media Center UI on the Xbox360 for recorded TV file stored on WHS.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:23 PM
  • lets be clear

I dont want to get to my files from the xbox console I can do that already

I wnat to use the media center extender on the xbox and use the WHS as the WMS

I hope that makes sense
    Thursday, August 9, 2007 1:16 AM
  •  

Then you want to enabled the guest account on your Windows Home Server and give the guest account read or read/write access to the folders you wish your Media Center Edition computer to Watch.  Have your Media Center Edition computer watch the folders you just gave the guest account access to.  You then need to connect your Xbox 360 to the Media Center Edition computer (Not your Windows Home Server). 

It will use the Media Center Edition user interface and stream videos, music and pictures from your Windows Home Server through the Media Center Edition home computer to your Xbox 360.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 6:28 PM