installation of xp pro on a new hard drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recently purchased a new hard drive and I have an OS (I think is valid but with no certificate of authenticity), I started the install of said product. When I got to the point where I am required to input the product key, I am unable to locate it. I have had this OS in my possession now for 5 - 6 years, I am not completely sure where I obtained this cd but it also came with a restore cd, and am no longer able to find the key. I contacted tech support at Microsoft, who basically stated that they could not help because there is not a valid number (X********) on the cd itself. It does however have a HP # where Microsoft stated that the Microsoft # should be. Is it possible to completely zero out my new hard drive to get rid of this OS from where I am at, at the current install?

The installation went through 3 separate stages to get to this stage. The first stage was Collecting Information, the second was Dynamic Update, the third was Preparing Installation, and now I am at the Installing Windows stage (This is the stage that requires inputting the Product Key), with a final stage of Finalizing Installation.

If I am unable to zero out my hard drive from this point, would it be possible to purchase a separate OS and install over this one without having to input the Product Key from the other OS?

I tried to be as thorough as possible with this. Hope that someone can help.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Walctalsha

Friday, March 14, 2008 8:00 PM

Answers