none
70-642 in just 5 days, anyone want to spread some advice and wisdom? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi my name is Matt, I'm sitting the 70-642 exam soon, Im pretty nervous yet confident, has anyone got any advice they could give me, previous exam experience? This is my first Microsoft based exam I have ever sitted. so I'm hopeing for it to go well. 

Any input will be most appriciated :),

Cheers, 

Matt

Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

yes, 700/1000 is also what I heared and saw so far and I interpret the same. But there are no details available what Microsoft is doing and how they score.

I am not 100% sure, if reading the book is enough. I mainly know the development exams and in there experience was important (Some questions simply required that you know the classes and important members and not everything was given in the book. But of course: In the training area you played around with that stuff.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:18 AM
    Answerer
  • I have yet to find a MS press book or a Transcender alone help me pass a test. Honestly I have found them to be a waste of money (as far as certification is concerned).  THough the MSPress books can be used for on the job resources.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-642#tab2  <-- This is what the test will cover. Lok at every key word and read the page dedicated to it by MS.

I would make sure that you look at every keyword in here and use the Microsoft resources (Yes look it up from the MS site).  Anything with technet, Microsoft or msdn in the browser title bar.

One of the things you may find is that the transcender tests are the questions on the test, which has happened in the past with places like testking who was sued.  While the questions may be "around" what you are looking for it may be a completely different aspect so don't study to pass the transcender.  Use it to find where you are weak and use it to see what other topics are around what you missed.  IE if you missed a bunch of AD questions or Hyper-V questions, then dont just look up the answer for the transcender more that likely that specific question will not be on the test.  Instead read the entire MS section on Hyper-V and pay close attention for things that look like they could be test questions.

If you have enough money I have found when I feel confident, but not sure.  I will just go and take the test and see what it is like and see what I am weak on. Though I have yet to fail with this attempt (though I have scored in the 700's before, back when I took the 2000 Server test) . You may be there already or you may be so far off that you need to start from square 1.  Trance

Mark Rowe MCTS:Biztalk, MCP http://MicrosoftIntegrationArchitect.com
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hi Matty,

congratulation!

I think there will be 2nd editions of the self paced training kit books soon, but of course all that takes some time (I am waiting for all the books on the .Net Framework 4 exams).

I am reading other books so far that are also covering the exam topics. (Not perfect but the best solution that I found so for me.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:39 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Matt,

so I hope that you did a lot already and have experience? One thing that I like are the practice tests. they show quickly, in which areas you still lack some knowledge and give links where you can learn more about the topic.

And the best thing you can do directly before the exam: calm down and in the exam take your time. Read the question and the answer carefully and do not hurry in there.

Good luck with the exam.

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:48 AM
    Answerer
  • I have some experience in the Linux field, but I went back to studying because I didn't enjoy it. I have a diploma in information technology (networking) however, which did cover a bit of Windows Server 2003. I have been doing the practice tests, I just scored 82% in exam mode, I have read the book twice now and I'm just going over my notes over and over. I do need to however work on "Monitoring and Managing a Network infrastructure"  but the others are pretty good, but I hear Configuring File and Print Permissions and that are not heavily tested on the exam.

I keep hearing that the pass score is 700/1000 does that just basically mean 70%?

Thanks so much for the early reply!

Sincerely,

Matt

Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Hi Matt,

yes, 700/1000 is also what I heared and saw so far and I interpret the same. But there are no details available what Microsoft is doing and how they score.

I am not 100% sure, if reading the book is enough. I mainly know the development exams and in there experience was important (Some questions simply required that you know the classes and important members and not everything was given in the book. But of course: In the training area you played around with that stuff.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:18 AM
    Answerer
  • Hey Konrad

Yeah I have noticed theres quite a bit that the MS Press hasn't covered, actually just doing the practice test I have learned quite a bit. Do you know how realistic the exam questions are? Are they simulated to the same or similar to the test? and is 82% a pretty safe score?

Sincerely,

Matt 

Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:33 AM
  • I have yet to find a MS press book or a Transcender alone help me pass a test. Honestly I have found them to be a waste of money (as far as certification is concerned).  THough the MSPress books can be used for on the job resources.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-642#tab2  <-- This is what the test will cover. Lok at every key word and read the page dedicated to it by MS.

I would make sure that you look at every keyword in here and use the Microsoft resources (Yes look it up from the MS site).  Anything with technet, Microsoft or msdn in the browser title bar.

One of the things you may find is that the transcender tests are the questions on the test, which has happened in the past with places like testking who was sued.  While the questions may be "around" what you are looking for it may be a completely different aspect so don't study to pass the transcender.  Use it to find where you are weak and use it to see what other topics are around what you missed.  IE if you missed a bunch of AD questions or Hyper-V questions, then dont just look up the answer for the transcender more that likely that specific question will not be on the test.  Instead read the entire MS section on Hyper-V and pay close attention for things that look like they could be test questions.

If you have enough money I have found when I feel confident, but not sure.  I will just go and take the test and see what it is like and see what I am weak on. Though I have yet to fail with this attempt (though I have scored in the 700's before, back when I took the 2000 Server test) . You may be there already or you may be so far off that you need to start from square 1.  Trance

Mark Rowe MCTS:Biztalk, MCP http://MicrosoftIntegrationArchitect.com
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hey Mark,

I have been hammering the book for about 4 months now, and I've been taking the practice tests on the companion CD, my week spots are Monitoring and Managing a Network Infrastructure, but all up, I did get 80%

Matt

Thursday, December 9, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Passed today! :D 800/1000 I'm over the moon with Joy, but the MS Press books use Server 2008 and windows vista, is there a later version of the books? Because the test uses 2008 R2 and Windows 7 thanks for the advice guys!

Matt

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:27 AM
  • Hi Matty,

congratulation!

I think there will be 2nd editions of the self paced training kit books soon, but of course all that takes some time (I am waiting for all the books on the .Net Framework 4 exams).

I am reading other books so far that are also covering the exam topics. (Not perfect but the best solution that I found so for me.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:39 AM
    Answerer
  • Congrats Matty.

I'm also taking this test in 2 days, on the 21st. Im crazy nervous. I have been taking the exams from examworx. They have helped me in the past and the questions usually are verbatim. I have taken those things around 20-30 times. I always score around 90-100% now. Were the questions on the test almost verbatim? Any actual labs involved?

Thanks!

Eric

Monday, December 20, 2010 4:08 AM
  • Hey Eric,

Sorry about the late reply,

To be honest, because the Training kit I studied was on Windows Server and Vista, and given current times, the questions where on windows 7 and server R2, so they were EXTREMLY different to the practice exams, and took a lot of thought, because of it, I seriously thought I was going to fail, but I got 800/1000 in the end so I'm happy :)

How did your test go? Did you move onto a different cert to study?

Matt.

Monday, January 24, 2011 5:36 AM
  • is it possible you used a braindump?
    Monday, January 24, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Hi Matty, how was your method of studying? did you setup windows 2008 in your pc for practice and labs. or reading the ms press books and other books such as sybex would be enough already? please advise. Thanks.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:38 AM
  • Hi Matty , have you used practice test (measureup) ? I did the same exam but did not passed because the material used were on windows server 2008 R1 ,what advise can you give me ?

thanks.

brian

Friday, June 3, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Brain dumps is simply cheating. I don't brain dump I have a planned study method of passing this particular exam along with the 70-640 which I will be doing on the 1st of August 2011
    Friday, July 8, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Hi Matty , have you used practice test (measureup) ? I did the same exam but did not passed because the material used were on windows server 2008 R1 ,what advise can you give me ?

thanks.

brian

Hi Brian,

Yes, I used the measure up questions on this exam. My advice for you is to simply keep trying. but I also test myself on 1 exam objective at a time and try to focus on questions I havent seen before. Because measure up tends to get repetitive after you have tested yourself more then once on the same test.

What Microsoft wants, In my opinion is to be able to answer the questions without seeing before. Focus on this. Also I am using Measure up revision 2 questions for the 70-640 which I am studying now. I had to purchase those because they didn't come with the Microsoft Press.

Brian, you can pass the exam with just the Microsoft Press book. But we all don't like reading a book for hours on end. so I also suggest considering http://www.cbtnuggets.com. I am using this also with the 640 to get a better understanding of the book, a disk costs about 300 dollars, but its much better then paying for a 5 day course for about 5k. But thats my 2 cents.

Good Luck! and if you have any questions shout me an email at daf101@live.com :)

Friday, July 8, 2011 6:15 AM