How can I get my printer to work? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Deskjet 3745 connected to my Vail machine (named "Valar").  I can't get anything to print.  I have tried accessing the printer remotely through my Windows 7 Professional Desktop client, and I have tried opening notepad on the Vail machine and just printing from that.  Neither works.  When I go into the devices and printers, there are several printers there (even though I only have one physical printer).  Those printers are

1. Fax (redirected 2)
    2. HP Deksjet 3740 Series (LiDiL)
    3. HP Deskjet 3740 Series (LiDiL) (redirected 2)
    4. HP Deskjet 3740 Series (LiDiL) on Valar (redirected 2)
    5. HP Deskjet 3740 Series (LiDiL) USB
    6. HP Deskjet 3740 Series (LiDiL) USB on VALAR (redirected 2)
    7. Microsoft XPS Document Writer (redirected 2)
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:35 PM

All replies

• I would remove all instances of the HP Deskjet 3740 and disconnect the printer. Then I'd reboot, then reconnect the printer and install the driver once. Then share the printer, install drivers for additional operating systems if you need to, and you should be okay.

Note, however, that this printer is a "win" or "GDI" printer; it relies on rendering performed in the device driver which sends a bitstream to the printer. This type of printer doesn't always work well in a shared printer environment, particularly if the printer doesn't have an available driver for Windows Server 2008. In this case, the best advice I can give you is to find an inexpensive network multifunction printer and use that instead.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:30 PM
  • I decided to install the new build of Vail, and got the same issue.  I didn't install the printer until after Vail was done setting up.  After installing the printer once, I saw the same seven printers listed in my devices and settings folder.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:35 PM